Cleaning Swimming Pool Tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
What is the best way to clean swimming pool tile that will not etch surface of the tile? My tile is 30 years old but looks like heck.

ob

Admiral
Re: Cleaning Swimming Pool Tile?

I've had an inground pool for around 20 years.I know exactly what you're up against.Most of the over the counter liquid or gel products at the local supply houses are only effective on surface residue.That three demensional calcified build up can be a real pain.I just cleaned mine this summer.The glazed tile will handle muratic acid without any visible etching.It's the grout between you want to be careful with.Here's what I did.Applied CLR to the tile,waited 10 minutes and then used a very sharp edged stainless steel scraper and painstakingly scraped each tile.Most of the bad buildup is at water level and above.Once done,I poured some straight strength muratic acid into a plastic container and used a 1" paint brush to carefully cover each tile surface at and above water line.Let it set for 5 minutes and vigorously rubbed down with a piece of stainless steel wool.Not perfect ,but the results were significant.It's an exhausting task,but I took several breaks and worked it in sections.Mine was the worse in the shallow end near the skimmer.

D

DJ

I don't have 20 years of experience but I have seven.

No chemical will cut that scum-directly. It takes HOURS of pool time scraping carefully with a razor blade and scrub pad. Did I mention-CAREFULLY.

Sorry, no miracle cures.

The trick is to NOT let it get there. Keep the chem's balanced.

I know it sounds weird but water DOES wear out. It gets saturated with local minerals and added chemicals.

If the scum is a reoccurring problem, change the water and treat it correctly.

ob

Admiral

DWJ is right on as to maintaining proper levels of water chemistry to prevent frequent reoccurance of calcified build-up.Particularly with respect to total alkalinity and ph.Not all granular or tableted chlorines are created equal either.Several years ago we started using Leslies Chlorbrite II for shocking and general addition of chlorine and it has made a marked reduction in maintenance.Their particular inert base dissolves readily and leaves almost no settled detritis residue,unlike some of the dept store brands we've used over the years.
Then of course ,there's the rain ,wind ,and trees that constantly work against our best efforts to keep it as pristine as logically possible.

D

DJ

Follow OB's advice.

There is a difference in chemicals. I always got mine from a little store owner that really knew pools. That relationship saved me thousnads, I'm sure.

Forget the BIG pool stores. You can get the good stuff there, but advice is paramount.

Take a sample of your water in to a good store (again, forget the chains).

The sample will tell you what you need to do.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Looks like I have a new project. I will tackle it after I finish replacing the water pumps and thermostats on the boat.

Thanks to all.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can use chemical to clean the tile. I have been using different types of chemicals so as to clean the tiles of the swimming pool. You can also use bleaching powder to clean it.

13 years later, the tile is past the cleaning stage. Demo is probably the only choice.

Closed.

BTW - The spammer was kicked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.