1993 Toyota Camry Electrical Question

ehenry

Commander
Today I was tooling down Intersate 55 and my car just shut down. Turns out it blew a 30 amp fuse in the box under the hood. The label on the inside of the box top says this is the AM2 fuse. I replaced it with a 30 amp spare I had in the car it blew and the second one I put in also blew. The fuse blows when the key is turned on.

Does anyone know what this fuse controls so i can start looking for the cause of the short? Thanks for any and all help that comes.

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: 1993 Toyota Camry Electrical Question

This 30 amp AM2 fuse feeds the following....
To the Ign. switch, then to the 7.5 amp ign. fuse, junction here & to the 12 volt side of all the fuel injectors, also feed the Ignitor on fender skirt, also the N2 Noise filter on the fender skirt, & last the (+) posistive side of the Ign. Coil inside of the distributor....
On the neg. side of the distributor is the Capacitor with a short brown mount wire... THIS was a PROBLEM. with the camry of that year, unplug the distributor and see if another fuse blows, you are going to need alot of fuses before you are done un-pluging things

puddle jumper

Captain

Another way to check for a short is to use a test light hooked to both sides of the fuse holder and the test light will light up. Then start unpluging thinks and wiggling wires ontill the light goes out .You have then found your short.

ehenry

Commander

xtraham,

I unplugged the altenator, fuse blew, unplugged the distributor, fuse blew, unplugged both things mounted on driver side fender and fues still blew. Do i need to go inside the distributor looking for something?

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]A 30amp+ dead short will fry a test light.

The condenser inside the distributor was a common failure, but unplugging the distributor plug and retesting has ruled that out as the fault.

The short is somewhere between the ignition switch and the alternator.

If it were me, I'd unplug the EFI relay and see what happens, then I would trace the loom back to the ig switch - paying close attention to routing through the firewall. Could also be a faulty ig switch.

If none of that finds the fault, you need to go short hunting with an easily made tool - similar to puddle jumper's idea.

ehenry

Commander

I should have mentioned that this is a 4 cylinder model. Hopefully this will shed a little more light on it.

Where would the EFI relay be located.

There are some relays in the same box that this fuse is in but its beyond me as to how you get those suckers out!!!

xtraham

Lieutenant

check under the fuse box, i have seen chafed and crushed wires under some models, has anyone recently installed a new stereo? if so check everything there

ehenry

Commander

The car is just like it was when it came off the lot. I bought it new in 93. THere hasn't been any stereos or anything done to it. Nothing extra added at all.

xtraham

Lieutenant

pull the EFI relay see if the fuse blows, if it doesn't unplug the fuel injection harness........to narrow it down

puddle jumper

Captain

Dunaruna i have to disagree with you becouse you are not drawing 30 amps through the test light.There is a power sorce and a ground that is causing the fuse to blow when the key is on.The only amprage draw is the test light bulb.
ehenry do what Duraruna and xtraham are saying. It sounds like thay have had a simular problems with the same car.

D

DJ

30 amp fuse blowing is a SERIOUS issue.

I suspect a problem in the failed fuse box.

There are littareally no circuits, inside the car, that require 30 AMPS.

Also look at the ignition switch.

ehenry

Commander

I found it ! ! ! ! ! Now all i need is someone to tell me what needs replacing. XTRAHAM, you win the prize. Your first post had the problem in it. I didnt unplug the small 2-wire plug on the side of the distributor the yesterday I only unplugged the big main plug on the front of the distributor. When i unplugged the small 2-wire plug it quit blowing the fuse. Those two wire go inside the distributor and go to two terminals int he bottom of the distributor. I've no idea what they do....any suggestions??

xtraham

Lieutenant

I don't know if you unplugged the stator or the coil is the ignition coil internal or external ? some of those cars have non serviceable distributors, remove the part that you unplugged and take it to a parts store and see if it is available,

dolluper

Captain

The main big connector with four or five pins?? is for the module the two wire connector should be for your coil

ehenry

Commander

$11.17 later I'm back to tooling down the road. It was the condensor in the distributor. The condensor actually cost $3.45, they clipped me 7.72 in freight to have it brought up from Jackson with their normal parts shipment...ANYWHO...Its fixed. Just wanted to let yall know what the problem was. THanks to all and special thanks to Xtraham who bingoed the problem right out of the gate.

xtraham

Lieutenant

glad you are up and running,

and thanks for the reply.......you are very welcome