Worm zapper

byacey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Worm zapper

Originally posted by --GQ--:<br /> "Sticking 120v into the ground to drive worms out". this has got to be urban legend. Sticking 120v to ground is a short circuit. The breaker will trip. Not trying to bust anyone bubble...
If the local ground resistance is low, or if the soil is quite moist this is true, but the resistance of the dirt and how deep you insert the electrode into the dirt dictates how much current will flow.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> rpjs - Did this box sit on top of the ground, or down inside a hole?
They were just sat on the ground.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Terry Olson:<br />Here in MN the city, county, or state agency issuing the citation receives less than it costs to pay for the cop to write the ticket in the first place. Nearly all of the fine goes to the county and the state to pay for court and filing costs. It's not a money maker here and I suspect this is the case elsewhere but I don't know that for sure.
Think of it this way how much money would be made if the bogus laws were not there in the 1st place ;) <br /><br />
With that said I couldn't agree with you more about the ways we should invest our law enforcement time and resources. You're absolutely right. <br /><br />Rwise:<br /><br />I agree completely.
Kool, like I said I was not flaming just showing another way to look at things. We {Americans} are sold bogus crap constantly but most folks don't care as long as they have their big screen and a Mc D's on the corner.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Bill, I do know this. Worms can not survive in dry dessert environment. Their habitats of choice is a shady moist dirt within inches of the surface. Where you have moisture; the water content is pretty high. And water if a fair conductor of electricity. Mixed with various type of minerals, you got a good conductor. At 120v you betcha the breaker will trip. furthermore, if 12v drives worms out, 120v will certainly kill them.<br /><br />Not trying to prove anyone wrong. Just a bit of logical reasoning. When something doesn't seem right, I dig further. Who knows I may learn something. Happy posting!