Worm zapper

byacey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Worm zapper

The current available from a telephone crank generator isn't lethal unless you have a pacemaker or a very weak heart, in which case I doubt a person like that would be out digging worms. They typically generate about 100V. An automotive ignition coil produces anywheres from 25,000 to 50,000 volts, but is a very high impedance source, and would be swamped by the resistance of the ground rendering it useless. The 350 volt transformer I use is isolated from the line, does the job, and is only dangerous if someone grabs one of the rods while the circuit is energised. Since I prefer to pick worms myself when there is no one else around, it is quite safe because of the pushbutton arrangement on the transformer circuit.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by levittownnick:<br />[4) I don't think it's safe.
That's fine, then don't do it. Does this give you the right to want to take others freedom away from doing it? I don't think swimming in shark invested waters is safe "so I don't do it". Many of folks have zapped worms without problems, out of that a couple have died. Many kids swim, out of that many have also drowned. ONCE AGIAN, if someone like Bill or Rwise etc... know how to zap then leave them alone. There are thousands of gun accidents every year does this mean we should ban guns, NO. This means there is room for education and learning. I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of loosing my freedoms in this country, too these assinine selfsave laws.

rwise

Captain

20/20 can we throw seat belts in with that?<br /><br />I do not use a "zapper" I think they are just to much to carry around when I can go over to a leaf pile rack them back and just pick up the worms. For those who want to, or like to, have fun, be safe, think! Besides I only have about 300' of extension cord :D just don't reach the outlet.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I buy mine from that poor little guy at the corner with the little yellow signboard...Walts Crawlers.<br /><br /><br />He's about as poor as those 3 wine guys who thanked us for our support!

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

If there isn't any AC power available, dynamite works in a pinch. You can catch the worms on their way down. Now, I suppose somebody is going to tell me you shouldn't use dynamite for digging worms!? :D

Xcusme

Commander

You shouldn't use dynamite for digging worms.....<br />Everyone knows dynamite is for fishing. :D

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

An old friend of mine used to breed worms for fishing and sell them to the tackle shops, he made a lot of money at it. His method was:<br /><br />A wooded box about 4' square and 18" deep, into the bottom put about 6" of well rotted horse muck, then add a layer of boiled seed potatoes, cover the whole thing with fresh horse muck, keep the box well watered and in 4 weeks you will have more worms than you know what to do with, the great part is that when you come to harvest them you will find them packed into the empty potato skins.<br />He would get about 30pints of worms from each box before he had to clean it out and reset it.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a note. we use to shock worms years ago, but we found out the worms didn't last to long,, my from stress, who knows?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

rpjs - Did this box sit on top of the ground, or down inside a hole?

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> 20/20 can we throw seat belts in with that?<br />
seatbelts helmet laws, or any other selfsave law :D . I wear a seat belt and even wore a helmet when needed{motorcycle, snowmobile, ATV...} but this should be an individual choice. My not wearing a seat belt will not affect Joe Bob 3 blocks away so in my opinion it's none of anyones business. I fail to see the point of why folks want others in their business?

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Not that I'm disagreeing with you 20/20 but the argument for helmet and seat belt laws (among many others) has to do with the cost to the rest of us when you crash and need full time nursing care for the rest of your life. Unless you're independently wealthy you can't afford to pay for your own care, placing that burden on the taxpayers including Joe Bob three blocks away and everyone else. Again, not disagreeing, but there is a reasonable argument to be made. You could defeat this argument by REFUSING to accept resources beyond your own in the event that you find yourself in this situation. One man's freedom shouldn't be at the expense of everyone else - should it? <br /><br />More on topic - my neighbor introduced me to Berkley Powerbait last summer. He says it outfishes worms and most other live baits. We tried it and found that it's at least as good as real worms but it stays on the hook better and stays "fresh" in the tackle box so long as it's sealed to prevent it from drying out. We cut the bait into pieces and fish the whole day on 1 or 2 worms making it cheaper than buying worms. The neighbor fishes walleyes more than anything else so he uses them whole. They come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes from several different manufacturers. I didn't believe it until I tried it but I don't see buying or digging worms ever again. There are times when a live swimming minnow can't be beat, but worms are just meat on the hook and easier to replace with something that doesn't move on it's own. <br /><br />Give it a try - I bet you'll agree.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Terry Olson:<br />[QB] Not that I'm disagreeing with you 20/20 but the argument for helmet and seat belt laws (among many others) has to do with the cost to the rest of us when you crash and need full time nursing care for the rest of your life. Unless you're independently wealthy you can't afford to pay for your own care, placing that burden on the taxpayers including Joe Bob three blocks away and everyone else. Again, not disagreeing, but there is a reasonable argument to be made. You could defeat this argument by REFUSING to accept resources beyond your own in the event that you find yourself in this situation. One man's freedom shouldn't be at the expense of everyone else - should it?
I understand your argument but if that is what your going to use to justify loosing freedoms then we better get after fast food places, junk food manufacturers, etc... I also want to see the spec sheet that was used to come up with this cost argument. Sorry but in my opinion this is a lame atempt {by the powers to be} in enforcing a bunch of bogus laws. Now lets look at the real picture, seatbelt laws helmet etc... are there so that it looks more justified when a town{city or state} wants to make money by writting tickets. These laws were put into place so that police officers would look like they are doing a public service. I'm not blaming police for doing their jobs but I am sick of politics scamming the crap out of Joe public. Instead of writting bogus tickets maybe we should try to go after the real criminals. What I mean by this is that a real criminal is not a money maker, average Joe is. Write a ticket to Joe for seatbelt then go after Bob's meth lab who will be more likely to pay for their "mistake". I hope You can understand my point bogus selfsave laws are nothing more then money making scams.<br /> <br />I'm not attacking your opinion but there is alot more to the story then what some BS insurance company or some BS politician is selling us. They come up with lies or half truths and then sell them to us like they are gold and will save the world. There is allways more to the story when the gov is involved......... just some food for thought.

rwise

Captain

Originally posted by Terry Olson:<br /> has to do with the cost to the rest of us when you crash and need full time nursing care for the rest of your life.
In this case please let me die! I do not want to live like that!<br /><br />I tried the power baits, I catch more on real worms!

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

20/20:<br /><br />Here in MN the city, county, or state agency issuing the citation receives less than it costs to pay for the cop to write the ticket in the first place. Nearly all of the fine goes to the county and the state to pay for court and filing costs. It's not a money maker here and I suspect this is the case elsewhere but I don't know that for sure. <br /><br />With that said I couldn't agree with you more about the ways we should invest our law enforcement time and resources. You're absolutely right. <br /><br />Rwise:<br /><br />I agree completely.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> 20/20 I agree!
Ayuh,............. Same Here............. :) <br /><br />" It's For Your Own Good "...........<br />The Liberals Tag Line.......................... :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />Btw,.... Back to Topic,.......<br />I just go out,+ turn over 1 of the Compost Piles,+ Take what I Need of Worms,.......<br />If there's Bait left over,... It goes Back to where it came........ ;)

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

With the present political BS, we should just make using and collecting worms illegal to prevent people harming themselves while trying to obtain fish bait for free. In fact, ban fishing because every year some people drown while trying to catch fish. On second thought, ban the consumption of fish, and this solves all the fore-mentioned problems.<br /><br />The point is, you cannot legislate stupidity. You can make all the laws you want, but it won't prevent some people from doing stupid things.What really gets me is when people don't take responsibilty for their own actions. <br /><br />As an example recently some kid on a motorcycle killed himself while riding a winding road at 130Km/h in a 50Km/h zone. Now the parents want an inquiry into how this could have happened, and the road isn't safe, and their son was a good boy and they don't understand how this could have happened. Point of all this is: If you don't know what you are doing and don't understand the potential hazards, don't do it. This applies to anything.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

"Sticking 120v into the ground to drive worms out". this has got to be urban legend. Sticking 120v to ground is a short circuit. The breaker will trip. Not trying to bust anyone bubble...