How to remove rounded out hex / allen screw?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: How to remove rounded out hex / allen screw?

You may also try to use a metric in a diminsion hole or viceversa.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

You may also try to use a metric in a diminsion hole or viceversa.

Dunaruna

Admiral

If you get stuck tink take a drive over to croydon - there's a mig here with your name on it.<br /><br />The torx bit should work, a bit of 'rost-off-ice' first, belt the bit in and you should be good to go.<br /><br />Aldo

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How come no one has mentioned applying something like Deep Creep or PB Blaster to help with whatever solution is suggested? Might it not help, or is just understood that one would use it in conjunction with the mechanical solutions?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> The torx bit should work, a bit of 'rost-off-ice' first, belt the bit in and you should be good to go.
Gee whiz! I thought we spoke a common language. :p

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hey boomyal, how's that motor coming along?<br /><br />I'll let you in on a little secret but you gotta promise not to tell anyone ;) .<br /><br />The absolute best creeping agent on the market today is 'Rost Off Ice', made by 'Wurth'. It freezes the bolt down to minus 40 which causes micro cracks in the rust/corrosion. The releasing agent is then able to creep effectively. I've been using it for about a year now - excellent product!!<br /><br /> http://www.autogeek.net/wurooffice.html <br /><br />Aldo

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

posted by Skinnywater<br /><br />lightly coat the bit with valve grinding paste and tap it in. <br />
Great trick. <br /><br />Also works on Phillips head screws.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Hey boomyal, how's that motor coming along?<br /><br />I'll let you in on a little secret but you gotta promise not to tell anyone ;) .<br /><br />The absolute best creeping agent on the market today is 'Rost Off Ice', made by 'Wurth'. It freezes the bolt down to minus 40 which causes micro cracks in the rust/corrosion. The releasing agent is then able to creep effectively. I've been using it for about a year now - excellent product!!<br /><br /> http://www.autogeek.net/wurooffice.html <br /><br />Aldo
Aldo, thanks for the link. It makes a lot of sense. Heat the surrounding area or cool/freeze the bolt. Haven't digested the whole link to see if it's available in the US but I'll check it out.<br /><br />The 'new' boat motor is in progress. I picked it up, this last week, from the salvage yard and dropped it off at the machine shop. They will remove all of the automotive periferals, install the proper timing cover w/ new chain, proper flywheel and install the proper oil pan and Edelbrock intake. I'll pick it up a two weeks and paint it. Right now I'm detailing and painting the intermediate housing and outdrive pivot caps.<br /><br />I still have to finish installing the new floors in the boat. All of the components were finished and ready last fall. After my motor was stolen in early Dec, I just quit working on things. Now that the weather is moderating I should finish the floors about the time the motor is ready for installation. I'm looking forward to the maiden voyage in June.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Tink,<br />That Wurth Rost-off is magic stuff. Some one your way will stock it.<br />We have used in on some Earthmoving plant with great success when other products have failed.<br /><br />Peter

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well Tink?????

Dunaruna

Admiral

Maybe what he needs is something like this:<br /><br /><br />
syb150.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Just replace the 'Start' with 'Come out'.

HotLava

Seaman

Buy a new mulcher<br /><br />:p