Beer Keg pressure before Exploding?

ndemge

Commander
Laws have changed, now have to "register" when you get a keg of beer, so many days to return empty bla bla bla, big brother being stupid, not going into THAT...<br /><br />Anyway,<br />Have 2 Half Barrels and a pony keg that are now basically worthless. They go for about $20 on ebay. But would be worth more than that to ME as air pressure tanks.<br /><br />So the question, how much pressure can these suckers take? can't find anything online becuase google is SO full of homebrew info I can't find the info I need.<br /><br />From what I've read and can tell, I would think 125-150 would be no problem, but I'd like to KNOW before I assume and have it blow up when my kid is next to it.<br /><br />If they can handle the pressure, I was going to stick them up in the attic since the skuttle is in my garage... would finally give me enough tankage to use the sandblaster.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Beer Keg pressure before Exploding?

I've got a couple laying around......<br />I've also cut up a few.....<br />I Can't Believe they won't take 200psi or Better................<br /><br />I've used old burnt out ele. hot water heaters to do what you're looking to do...... Welded All the holes closed, except the 1 I needed.... They worked Great.........<br /><br />I've got 2 100lb. Propane Tanks I'm using Now.......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Register to get a keg?<br /><br />I think we are all registered for kegs in WI, at the hospital just before they take the footprints of our feet.<br /><br />So if you buy a keg and the party is a flop, than it takes you an extra few weeks to use it up, they won't take back the empty?<br /><br />Whats the basis/origin of this stupid "law"?<br /><br />Sounds like a good reason to drink more. :)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have converted quite a few old propane tanks to portable air tanks....real easy.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, no pertainant info on the PSI ratings but, one thing I'd do is install a drain valve on the bottom of the tank if you plan on using it for a while.<br /><br />moisture and air tools don't go too well together.

ndemge

Commander

Yeah, would have to add drains.<br /><br />Looking for a good dryer to add to the system, for now, I just oil the heck out of the tools and hope for the best. It's amazing how fast the bottom of the pressure tank gets moisture

one more cast

Captain

I did a search and found the maximum safe pressure for beer kegs is 130psi. However I also found that very few fail below 300psi and the stainless steel ones can withstand up to 1000psi.<br /> Personally I do not recommend using beer kegs as pressure tanks.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

If you had ever seen a pressure tank fail, you wouldn't even think about jerry-rigging with air pressure. I agree with OMC, if it ain't made for air-pressure, don't use it. just some friendly advice :)

ndemge

Commander

The 130 rating I've seen is for the 5gallon soda kegs<br /><br />...from what I've read, the stainless steel ones are put under incredible tests when they are cleaned and going for the next refill. It would make sense for them to be able to handle 1000 psi, because if a regulator broke, the CO2 tank would send 800 psi to the beer keg, and I would see lawsuits everywehre. And ya know it's had to have happened where a keg got pressurized without a working regulator, and I've never heard of it.<br /><br />Chief.... I won't be messing around until I know the facts. I play with explosives as a hobby, but don't plan on adding pneumatic explosives to the list.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wait ndemge, don't you mean the CO2 has the ability for 800 PSI but the regulator cuts that way back.<br /><br />If you are looking for a tank for pressure ... a propane tank is best. The old beer kegs do make great moorings for the lake.<br /><br />Bob

ndemge

Commander

Yes, the CO2 has the ABILITY to presureize the tank to 800....... so what happens when the regulator fails and sends all that pressure down the lines?<br /><br />i'm keeping my eye out for a 500 gallon propane tank, but haven't seen one localy on ebay yet.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The co2 (and some are a mix of co2 and nitrogen) tanks that most bars and clubs use, arrive at 1500 psi. They are regulated down to about 22-30 psi. The usda food grade lines that most places use could not possibly withstand more than 100-150 psi without bursting, therefore even with a failed regulator I don't see any way for a keg to get preasurized anywhere near 800 lbs. As an additional safety device, the keg adapters have a preasure relief valve built into them.<br />If I HAD to use a keg for air, I could see maybe 100-125 psi. There is no way I would consider going over that.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Go with propane tank for sure.I have had one for yeeeeears and it takes all the pressure you can give it.I have also used empty freon tanks which are much lighter.Charlie

ndemge

Commander

Finally got an answer from someone in the business<br />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><br />It's about 507 psi when the burst disc built into some kegs will explode. Typically the fittings etc. will release pressure before the keg itself will explode. Freezing is another concern as ice build up will burst anything.<br /> <br /> <br />Best regards<br /><br /><br />Richard Wagner<br />Keg Club Inc. / Schaefer Kegs / Vin Service<br />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bondo

Staff member

i'm keeping my eye out for a 500 gallon propane tank, but haven't seen one localy on ebay yet.
If you can find the Right Person to talk to,<br />The Propane companies around here will Give you the 1s headed for the Scrap Yard........<br />Or,<br />Look at the Scrap Yards around your area..........

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

A guy in my college used a beer keg to make poitín (moonshine). He filled it with the mixture (potatoes, sugar and something else) and brewed it up with a gas flame under it for a few hours. We were all waiting for the pressure to make the thing explode, but it worked fine....

Snookster

Seaman

Just what are you trying to hold pressure for? And what gas or fluid to you hope to pressurize?<br />Is is caustic to the aluiminum?<br /><br />If you're looking for air pressure - go to a dive shop - get real dive tanks & a regulator. Remember air is wet & caustic. These tanks by law are required to be hydrostaticly tested every 7 yrs.<br /><br />If you're looking for Co2 - go to a welding gas supply house - they'll fix you up. Co2 is ok for blowing out drain lines but extremly wet.<br /><br />If you're looking for a dry / inert gas - choose NITROGEN. Available at weldeing supply houses. It's cheap & easy to handle with small cylinders & pressure up to 500#<br /><br />NEVER - EVER use freon. Freon (a trade name)is a gas that will displace all oxygen. It can & has killed people in the wrong hands. Also, if ever exposed to an open flame it changes to phosgen(sp) used in WW1 for mustard gas. Freon is also so small So - just say no.<br /><br />Pressure can be deadly -- DO NOT use old freon cans, they are designed for one time use, made from cheap thin steel & have a blow plug that will blow @ aprox 200#. Contractors are required by law to punch the blow plug when they're done to be sure they are not reused. If one fails being "reused" -- somebody will be holding the bag.<br /><br />If you are hell bent to use the old beer kegs... at least install a blow valve, like one used on air compressors to only allow a max pressure of _?_ .<br /><br /><br />Be carefull - get the right stuff, it's not worth hurting somebody. And remember, the product in the keg will expand w/ temp.

ndemge

Commander

SNookster..... was only going to use the keg to hold air pressure..... just that, add more capacity to my current air system.<br /><br />Fabricator's motto:<br /><br />"I'm not going to spend 20 bucks on something I can make for $50"

Snookster

Seaman

Air, like to blow up tires?<br /><br />If so - limit your PSI to 150# & install a high pressure relief valve like the ones on air compressors.<br /><br />Depending on your application, a drain fitting from the bottom of the tank to relaese condensation would be a good idea. Remenber if size is a concern, the nitrogen tanks are available in very small sizes (look like a small fire extingusher) & have up to 500# capacity <br /><br />Good luck & be carefull.<br /><br />Good luck - be