95 chevy blazer hard starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
recently my blazer is really hard to start. It cranks and cranks. Usually if I crank it for a few seconds and let it sit for a few seconds it will start. What can cause this? The engine light hasnt come on and it seems like it runs fine after it starts. I dont know where to start with it. thanks for any input. :)

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 95 chevy blazer hard starting

Formula 1974 What motor is in your Blazer is it a S-10 or full size. Answer this and i will try to help from my memory cells on Chevy problems. ASE MASTER TECH. Rick

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

its the s-10 blazer with the 4.3 v-6. I recently had a rich running condition that turned out to be the single fuel injector inside the intake im sure you know what im talking about (stupid design if I ever saw one.) and it acted kindof like this is now but now its not running rich. Thanks a lot.

LubeDude

Admiral

Check fuel pump preasure, sounds like the pump might be getting weak.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

change fuel filter and do a pressure test if memory serves me correctly should be around 65 psi if they drop below around 62-63 they wont run right if at all. you are correct the injector idea in the W code engine is a bad deal.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Formula 1974. The other problem that goes with the CSfI injector' Is th Rubber isolator that goes between fuel pump and pump hanger they tend to split internally when exposed to Alcohol GM has a new out that is made from a Vitavon material that isn't alcohol sensitive. On all of the 4.3's we have changed CSFI injectors on the next repair has been Pump and isolator. Pump is probably ok but you have to pull it to change isolator so be safe and change it too. Rick<br />ASE Master Tech

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a new fuel pump and sock on about 3 months ago. I didnt change the filter though I probably should have. the pump went while my wife was driving. man what a pain it is to get that phone call.

jimr

ALWAYS change the filter when changing a fuel pump.the fuel pressure on these engines is critical. richard is right about the isolator leaking have done a bunch of them.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will pick up a filter today. dumb question what does the isolator do? im not sure what that is.

jimr

it connects the electric fuel pump to the sending unit

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

does a new one come with the pump? Is it the rubber boot that goes onto the pump? Thanks

jimr

it should they are usually just a small piece of rubber hose if you replace the pump get a delco I have had the best luck with them

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put an ac delco on about 3 months ago seems like it works great. :)

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok problem still here. new symptom though. when it doesnt wanna start and its been sitting for awhile if I hold the pedal to the floor the first time I crank it then stop and let go and crank it again it fires right up. Isnt this a sign of it being flooded? It happened today at an exxon station and a mechanic came out to see if he could help. He said to check the control module and pickup coil but it doesnt seem to me like its a spark problem as soon as I start to crank it it smells like its flooded. im leaning toward that fuel injector is leaking down and causing it to flood again. If I get a day off anytime soon I will try to pull the upper intake off and see what I can see. Does it sound like im on the right track at all??? thanks

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok problem still there. I found something out though. when I turn the key to on (without cranking it) sometimes I cant hear the fuel pump at all. I cycle it to off and back to on and the second or third time I will hear a gurgerling (sp?) sound from the pump it will do this 1 or 2 times then it will start to hum like a normal pump should. As soon as it will hum normally I hit the key and it fires right up. There is a test plug under the hood to test fuel pressure you can run positive to it and the pump will run. When I do this the pump makes the same noises then after a few seconds it hums and the truck will fire. Is this the pump? I replaced it a few months ago and the idiots at the parts store dont have my info in thier computer and say I have to bring my reciept with me because thier puters lose people everyday. Well long story short the reciept is filed in one of 2 places my cluttered work bench or the dump. <br /><br />Oh yeah one more thing would it hurt anything to run a power to the test terminal for a few days on a toggle switch and prime the pump before I start the truck? we are in the process of moving and I cant be without the truck as I am moving with my trailer. Thanks in advance.

jimr

sounds like the pump if you didn't change the filter before then the pump probally burned up again. DONOT hotwire the pump I saw a guy do it on a lincoln town car long story short my old fire department got called to put the car fire out.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I changed the sock filter before the pump when i put the new pump in. After the pump is primed it runs fine. I had to do something to use the truck. I turn the toggle on for 4 or 5 seconds and when the pump hums I cut it off and put the key in and it fires up . Im not making the pump run constantly. If everyone agrees its the pump then I will buy another one and throw it on but I dont wanna spend a day pulling the tank and replacing the pump and come to find out that it is something else im not thinking of. Ive never seen a pump just not work at startup and then run great. there are no problems after it starts.

jimr

you need to change the inline filter gf481 for ac 1481 napa etc if you didnt change that you are throwing away money cause it will keep overloading pump causing failure. the pump is probally timing out and by hot wiring it it bypasses it. try having someone crank it over and hit (dont dent tank) the tank with a hammer or block of wood. if it fires up the pump is shot

krichards

Recruit

I had a friend that had a chevy with the vortech motor in it and it did the same thing but he noticed a puff of black smoke when it started. It ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. After he changed that it fired alot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.