Car Question

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I seem to be having trouble making my hardware run this season. This toy sits too much. I just started it up for the first time in over a year. It started fine but ran pretty ragged off idle. I let it run till it warmed up a bit. I thought I'd check the point gap and it seemed a little tight so I adjusted it out to about .017.<br /><br />When I started it back up it would idle but the minute I even touch the accelerator it just dies and quick. A slight touch on the accelerator produces a wee little squirt from the accel. pump which seems ok. I'm not blowing smoke. Any of you snow bound mechanics have any ideas? Also when I put the palm of my hand over the oil filler neck, at idle, it sucks my palm down.<br /><br />
009801.jpg

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Car Question

I would get a kit, and replace the points, condenser, and rotor. And then set it with a dwell meter and a timing light. You just can't get it close enough with a feeler guage, IMO.<br />It could well be a bad condenser in the points. I had the same symptoms in and old chevy I had, and turned out that the condenser was bad.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh, and check the distributor cap carefully for any signs of moisture or cracks. That'll do it too!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It sounds to me like a carburetor issue. The idle circuit sounds okay but once you apply throttle it transitions to the main circuit, and it may be gummed up or have enough junk in it to cause the engine to starve for fuel. You said it has been a year since it has been run last, so is the gas a year old? I would hazard a guess that the carb needs to be dissasembled, cleaned, and adjusted properly. When is the last time that has been done? If the points, cap, rotor , plugs and all that were in good condition last year, they will be in the same condition this year.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Sounds to me like a carb issue as well. Just like all of the posts up in the outboard repair section "Starts fine, seems to idle a little rough, but no power at WOT." Most of those sulutions are a carb rebuild due to a stuck needle valve. Sounds like the same thing here, and probably bad gas too, if you did not use any stabilizer.<br /><br />I know it has been talkad about alot up in the outboards section, but I have started using it and swear by it. If you do not use this car much, I would dump a couple of cans of Seafoam in the tank and run all of the gas out of that car, then fill it back up and keep your gas treated with Seafoam or something to keep the condensation out and stabilize the fuel. Several of the petrolem company sites will talk about how long fuel will last. Most fuel is consumed within 2 weeks of purchase. (In my truck and fill up lasts 4 days). But in our boats and collector cars, a fill up can lst quite a while depending on use. If it dies not stay fresh, then it will go bad and cause problems inside the engine.<br /><br />Good luck. That car it to pretty to not run correctly.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ah yes, the 289.<br />Check the accelerator pump also for a dirty diaphragm or tear in it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Pretty much covered it, NICE RIDE!!<br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks all. I'm sure that many of the suggestions given here are still valid as my motor still runs a bit rough and uneven at medium throttle.<br /><br />However my immediate problem is solved. It seems that when I adjusted the point gap last night I did it from the side and got the gap too wide. I just rechecked it from the front of the vehicle where I could get the blade straight down the point gap. With the gap closed back down to .015 the motor started right up and continued to run with applied throttle.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Boomyal..<br /><br />Probably nothing wrong with it...<br />Just needed an excuse to show off that beauty :D :D :D <br />I'm with SBN on the accelerator pump. If it hestitates and then runs it does sound like a dry or cracked diaphram. Are you running a Holley or an Edelbrock.. ? Or none of the above?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

None of the above Unicorn. I'm not sure what it is but it is OEM. I've owned it since 1980, took it all apart and redid everything and haven't put a 1000 mi on it. I just drained the gas tank on Sunday and refilled it. I think some of the gas was 24 years old.<br /><br />I've usually started it once a year, maybe drove it around the block a few times and had it in a local parade two times. I guess it should get shown off a little more :p (and drivin) but much to my Wife's chagrin, it just takes up space in the garage.

LubeDude

Admiral

How would you like to keep ten of them going! I have to keep a log to make sure I know when they were driven last!<br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey LubeDude, look outside the garage door, behind the Mustang. You're only lookin at 2/3 rds of the fleet, not including my boat, 1981 Honda Motorcylce, with only 750 mi on it, a 1962 Hyster forklift and a half dozen other motorized tools and generators.<br /><br />I've got my hands full too. Maybe I should start a logbook.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hear ya Boomyal.<br /><br />I have 8 that are mine, and 6 that belong to the courier service, plus a '64 Camino, 2 tractors, 2 bass boats, a pontoon, and a motorhome.<br /><br />When will all the madness end. :D

aspeck

Staff member

Nice 'tang - even if it is a Ford! I hear ya about keeping things running - I hear it from my wife and mother all the time! 2 cycles, 2 everyday cars, '67 Cutlass with 2,000 original miles (sold it new and bought it back from the lady 10 years later when it had 1,600 miles - we put half of the miles on it picking it up for oil changes and state inspections - even some of the belts are still original!), '76 T/A, and the Skeeter. You can never have enough vehicles, you know! Log books help!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey Aspeck! I'm gonna start a new post. Get ready to post a picture of your 67 Cutlass.<br /><br />SBN, gather up a picture of your El Camino.<br /><br />How bout this for a title;<br /><br />Show and Tell. Noteworthy Vehicles.<br /><br />Maybe I should wait until everybody gets their digital cameras for Christmas. (if I'm allowed to say that in a public place anymore)

LubeDude

Admiral

No, dont wait, then we have to wait for them to learn how to use them!!<br /><br />Go for it!!<br /><br />
339439%3B523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3C8%3A%3D%3C57%3DXROQDF%3E23234776698%3C%3Aot1lsi
<br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Good Point L'Dude. Besides the thread may end up with some legs, for those who are digitally impaired.<br /><br />I'll have to wait for my son to get home so I can get another pic of the 'stang off his 'puter. Then I'll start the thread.