Home schooling ???

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Home schooling ???

I was just going to mention the HSLDA to you, but I see that a link to their sight has already been provided. I also see that very good advice has already been offered here, and I do not feel that I can add much.<br /><br />I would love for my wife to homeschool our kids, but the fact is right now, I can't afford for her to stay home anymore. She is now in school to be a teacher. With any luck (answered prayers) she will me able to teach in the same system and distric as our kids.<br /><br />I do agree with the fact that part of the problem in the schools today starts with the parents at home. Not the homeschool parents, but all of those parents that have zero invovlement in the childs lives. These people send their kids to public school and expect the teachers to raise the kids. That is not their job. These same parents end up defending their right to "Parent the way they want to" and want to take everyone to court over civil liberties. If family values were anything close to the way they were 30 years ago, this would be an entierly different conversation.<br /><br />I think homeschooling is a very good thing if you are dedicated and provide the right enviroment and involvement. Like i said, I wish we could, but right now it is not feasible.

1965MT

Seaman

We homeschool our kids. It takes a lot of work from my wife but they enjoy the learning process. Do public school kids enjoy learning? The key word here is enjoy.<br /><br />I have seen the Lord of the Flies reference, that is one of the many reasons that we homeschool. I am not trying to offend anyone but I don't want some kids teaching my kids anything.<br /><br />Public schools have become a dinosaur, extinct and need to be placed in a museum. Only a few kids get the education that they need from public school and I would bet most of that is after school from their parents.<br /><br />Kids only spend about 3 hours a day learning in public school. The rest of the time they are being taught to stand in line, keep their mouths shut, and do exactly what the teacher tells them. If they misbehave, per the teacher, then they will recommend Class I narcotics (what did you think Ritalin was???).<br /><br />I am not a right (or left) wing radical but I want my kids to learn Individuality, Creativity, and Responsibility. How can a teacher with 30 kids in the room allow for this? It can't happen. Sit down and be quiet.<br /><br />The social aspect of public school is way overrated. Does anyone remember dodge ball? What real skills does that teach?<br />We teach our kids the same way that I had to learn in college. Did you know college was vastly different than public school? Did you know that public school was vastly different than the working world?<br /><br />I can remember that the times I got into the real trouble as a kid were always the times between when I got out of school and when mom and dad got home. Do you know where your kids are?<br />Homeschooling is not for everyone because you have to make (and be able to make) an incredible commitment.<br /><br />But here are some points to ponder, How long has the modern version of public school been in existance? Did Benjamin Franklin go to public school? What evidence shows that public school is superior? In our school there are two kids per teacher, what is the ratio at your school? My kids teacher(s) have degrees in engineering, acountanting, and nursing.<br />How does your public school adjust to your kids? Do they expect your kids to adjust to them?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

1965MT, your statement, whether or not you agree, makes you a Right Wing Radical.<br /><br />"I am not a right (or left) wing radical but I want my kids to learn Individuality, Creativity, and Responsibility."<br /><br />The Left has so effectively demonized people with your values that many, as you, are afraid to admit it.<br /><br />The truth of the matter is that the only thing Right Wing about your values is the polarity that has been created by the VAST LEFT WING CONSPIRACY. The political and philosphical spectrum in this country only extends from far left to middle, not on thru to the far right.<br /><br />Throughout American history, people with your values were definately middle of the road. Desires and values that were simply proven to be what, at least, has made this country what it is.<br /><br />So if now the Democratic Party has seen fit to brand you a Right Wing Radical, wear it proudly and accept nothing less.