Fiberglass Resin Question

Link

Rear Admiral
I've been soooo not wanting to ask this question<br /><br />During a Blond moment while repairing a fiberglass bathtub some of the resin draind into the pee-trap between the tub and the sewer line.<br /><br />Result: Tub no longer drains<br /><br />I'm pretty sure the trap is made out of metal and have access to the top of it from the other side of the wall.<br /><br />-----------------------------------------------<br />This is the QUESTION:<br />Is there a product that will desolve the resin that I could pour into the trap ??<br />------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Yes I know the proper way would be to just replace the trap. But that means tearing out the bathroom walls, removing the tub, then Jack Hammering the cement slab floor. And I just don't want to go there right now :) <br /><br />Thanks for your time

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fiberglass Resin Question

On the surface sounds like you're fubar.--BUT--first thing I do is step back and relax. Your description of ripping out stuff may not be necessary. That concrete, is that a sub floor or poured slab, etc.<br /><br />On the other hand, did the resin flow into a wet pipe? Any wild azz chance resin is a blockage w/o bonding to internal pipe surface? If so, and piping allows, a "backward" snaking could push chunka resin back to you. <br />Please consider all options--relax b4 reacting.<br /><br />Last year my boy flushed ona them giant Leggos--worked it over for awhile with wire--no snag--gotta phone call @ work from bride--said thing floated up into bowl. All was lost when Leggo was snatched and released to float back down--bride flushed thinking blowback would return Leggo--result--I bought a wax ring on the way home that night (and new fasteners too). Boy also decided to shoot HotWheels down PVC furnace exhaust--me to lazy or dumb to cap pipe w/ 1/4" hardware cloth.<br /><br />Anyhoo--been there bud, keep us posted. :(

crab bait

Captain

there's nuthin' i know that will disolve polyester..<br /><br />some chemicals can make it soft or tacky.. but wont disolve it..<br /><br />this is if 'worse-comes-to-worse'..<br /><br />buy a electrical fish tape at a home center... buy a small one .. cost about 10 buc.. <br /><br />cut off a piece 4 foot longer than needed..<br /><br />chuck it up in a power drill.. not a cordless.. <br /><br />push until obstruction..<br /><br />then engage drill motor...<br /><br />good luck..

Hooty

Rear Admiral

How much resin got in the trap?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with Hooty on this, depends on how much resin, etc. Does the drain not drain a drop, is it way slow? It seems more info is needed to properly assess this. One would assume that the resin would settle in the bottom of the pee trap and that seems within reach of a long piece of larger diameter brazing rod, brass so as to not be harder than the pee trap material. Tap'er lightly..at least at first. I'd think just resin settling in would not be well bonded to the trap.

Link

Rear Admiral

Pat Campbell <br />crab bait <br />Hooty <br />Old sailor <br /><br />Thank you very much for lending a hand.<br />I learned a few things about asking for help. I should have included more details.<br />I could have said, I've been Banging, Grinding, Drilling and flooding with chemicals for a week, Now I NEED HELP :) <br /><br />Pat Campbell <br />I should have mentioned that I've been working on this since last sunday the 30th of nov. And that the house sits on a flat slab of cement, not a sub floor. And that I had talk to several fiberglass guys and they all said the same thing, resin will not bond real tight on the metal trap and esp with wet pipes! No one thought of your idea Pat of "back snaking" Because the tub is last in line to the sewer I couldn't try that but still a great idea.<br /><br />Hooty / Old sailor <br />Mabe 1/4 to 1/2 cup max on the resin <br /><br />crab bait <br />Fiberglass guys told me the exact same thing about the chemicals. They also said the same thing as you and OLD SAILER, I was going to have to grind or shatter the resin. And I came up with about the same idea as you did. I borrowed a flex drill shaft from a electrical contractor which allows you to use drill bits or grinders. Which is what I figured to do.. I thought I'd ask the question here on IBOATS and inbetween answers (which I would try) I would just grind away! <br /><br />My Idea:<br />Was to come up with a way to drain the tub everyday but still be able to try differnt idea's to un-clog the trap.<br />The wife and I had been hand bailing the bathtub every morning after taking a shower/bath for a week and this was getting old <br /><br />This is the cool RedNeck/Red Green idea I came up with<br /><br />Saturday two days ago I made this post.<br />Then went to the local marine dealer and bought a JABSCO "Water Puppy" Self priming Water pump. On the patio outside I took the two 27 series batteries out of the boat (for power) and ran the intake water (garden hose) threw the wall and into the trap and the exit hose into the sewer outside.. then wired a inside switch in the bathroom (wall mounted very neat)<br /><br />Then I went in the bathroom and flipped the swiitch.. Presto! The tub drained in about 3-4 minutes.. Filled the tub again and hit the switch.. everything is going great..so I went outside to have a smoke.. (dirty habbit I know) and gave the squirrels extra peanuts since it was such a great day and I was so pleased with myself! Then the pump started sucking air.. NOT GOOD..<br />Pat Campbell's remark should have come to mind<br />--------------------------------------------------<br />Please consider all options--relax b4 reacting.<br />--------------------------------------------------<br />The tub was still half full of water so the trap had to have water in it also (I Reacted) <br />so I shut it off and pulled the intake hose up just a bit, turned the pump back on. It finished draing the tub just fine.<br /><br />My wife got home late do to a Christmas party and dinner (Navy Reserves) but the first thing she asked was how my pump idea turned out? I said GREAT and started filling the tub while she was changing out of her uniform.. about 5 minutes later I went to shut off the water and show off my invention. ACK! Tub was EMPTY! First thing I did was run into the kitchen to see how bad I had flooded it! It was clean and dry!<br /><br />Bottom line: The second time I tested the pump it really was sucking air! The pump had pulled loose the resin ball and it was blocking the water intake hose. When I shut the pump off the ball just went out through the sewer system.<br /><br />BTW I just had to show off all my work...so I put a stopper in the drain and filled the tub again. Had the wife come in the bathroom as I pulled the stopper.. ya know that little clockwise spiral (sp) as the tub drains.. so I said watch this as I flipped my pump switch on..and it doubled in size! :) :) :) <br />Once again thanks for your help. I wanted to let ya know how it was going.<br /><br />Signed SUPER DRAIN :D

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey great! Of course, when that resin hits the macerator at the sewer plant and does 4 million in damage we'll all say we never heard of it.. :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Sierra hotel, Link! It probably had to cure real good before it would shrink away from the trap and pop loose.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

SCO

Lieutenant

Great story Link, glad it worked out.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Most excellent outcome Link. A great example of backyard engineering at its finest.<br />Heres an oldy proverb if ya will--measure twice, cut once--<br /><br />Before I learned to take a step back and ponder it was -measure once, cut twice- :D

Link

Rear Admiral

:) Thanks again guys and glad u enjoyed it SCO now we can let this fade away to whereever old treads go