Old flag

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know the right way to retire a flag , the one ouside the house just got riped in the last storm and is pretty faded.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old flag

Burn it Dic*. There is an official ceremony to unfold and present flag to flame but absent that knowledge and the people to perform it, just place your hat o'er your heart and flick your Bic.<br /><br />Darn. I almost can't even make a rhyme on this forum. :D

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ofer it to a local Boy Scout Troop so that they may practice the proper way, burning.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

To the best of my knowledge, Amvets, American Legion, and VFW's hold retirement ceremonies for old flags. I do know American Legion post do it for sure. They do the whole color guard, shooting of the rifles when the do it. <br /><br />I have a legion hall across the road from me and we get to watch it every year......SS

Fly Rod

Commander

Also the Elks Club hold a once a year flag burning ceremony.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

If you do do it yourself DO NOT put it in a little pile on the GROUND. All rules of flag handeling still apply.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Ah I thought you burned it but I wasn't sure.I like the idea about the local scouts but I'd like to show my daughter the right way .She just turn 3 and is very upset that we are going to retire it.We are going to get a new one today, so keep the ideas coming .Maybe there's a home version of the ceremony .I can't get a band but I do have some hunting buds that could fire a few rounds off.

NOSLEEP

Commander

The Flag represents a living Country.<br />And is it's self considered a living thing.<br /><br />United States Code<br />Title 36<br />Chapter 10<br />#176 article J<br /><br />How about that. :cool:

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks dhud64 <br />Good read, so it looks like I'll have a fire ,come up with something good to say and I should be alright.<br />Rather ironic though, we all get p*i*s*s*e*d* off when some wacko burns the flag but yet I'm about to do the same for a good reason.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, to me, it's like a hate crime...burning the flag in anger, disobedience (sp?), etc...<br />I guess it's all in what drives you to burn it...<br />Burn my flag in disrespect , I'll kick your A#S#S#!!! :eek: