1972 International Cub 147

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Does anyone happen to know what kind of lube that I would use in the transfer case? It a hydrostatic, and it needs changed real bad. Hasn't had any maintenance in about 10 years.<br /><br />Thanks......SS

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 International Cub 147

Found this for ya ...<br /><br /> Jared, You are right about having the first hydro Cub Cadet tractor built. I have a 122 and would love to have a 123 to go with it someday. As for the oil and filter, please use a Cadet hydro filter on it. There are many "will fit" filters out there and some after market brands such as NAPA,but these don't have the right micron filtering properties and in some cases, the right bypass pressure relief. As for the oil, you should also use either Case IH Hy-Tran fluid or Cub Cadet's Hydraulic/Transmission fluid. They are both the exact same oil in different bottles. We use the Case IH brand here at home in our I H farm tractors, it just depends which one you have access to. I recommend you change the filter once a year and the oil every two to three years, depending on how much you use it. Since you just bought it, I would definately change it now because it's hard to tell how long that stuff has been in there! The system holds 7 quarts with the filter and on just a filter change you will probably lose only about a quart. <br /><br /> click here for more on the yella fellas

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Ray, There is a dealer in town. Head out tomorrow if the snow will let me. I use that cub to plow my drive. So I need to put some TLC into it. It is a strong tractor and like to keep it that way. I know parts are big bucks for it.<br /><br />Thanks....SS

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Youre welcome, neat thing is that its also indestructable, those so called little tractors are built like tanks, forged massive front axles, solid engines<br /><br />long, LONG after everything else has cut its last blade of grass, the cubs just rumble along

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

No doubt on it being a little power house. I've pulled walnut logs 12'x14" uphill! Put those agricultural treads on. If it gets a bite, its pulling. When I plow snow, I can stack it up in a pile about 5' high, about the same as a truck can.<br /><br />It uses oil, smokes, but starts up on second turnover even when its below zero. My new cub can't even do that. Have been offered $1000 for it, but for the work it does for me, I can't replace it for that. Same tractor to replace it would be over 5 grand.<br /><br />I do need a electo/mechanical lift motor. The last time I priced one was over 500 bucks. Thinking of trying a tilt/trim motor for a volvo outdrive. Same size shaft, reversiable, and lots of torque. But i would rather find the right motor. Haven't had any luck on finding one yet.<br />Would like to convert to hydraulic lift, but that gets pricey as well.<br /><br />Thanks again....SS