More on vehicle longevity!!

LubeDude

Admiral
I do not want to get into an oil argument, but here is the best advice I can offer, and its not oil!!<br /><br />The best thing you can do, and most people do not even know about it is an UAO,(Used oil analysis)!!<br /><br />I think that whether it is a new car or you are buying used, the best thing you can do is to have an oil analysis done on the used oil at the first oil change! It is about $20.00 and is the best way to find out how the inside of your engine is doing! Mainly it will tell you if you have a bad head gastket or other problem that would allow antifreeze to enter your oil! NOTHING will wear out an engine like glycol!! It can happen with a new engine just as well as a used one!! I do not advise you to do it every time unless you have more money than brains, but it will tell you how well your oil is holding up and if you might be able to go farther on the oil change interval! No reason to change oil that is still good!<br /><br />a good dino oil will last 3-5,000, and a synthetic will go 5,000 + with better high temp protection and cold weather starting!! Dont go farther unless the bottle says that the oil is recomended as an extended drain oil!!<br /><br />Food for thought!!<br /><br />LubeDude

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: More on vehicle longevity!!

HI! did you know that 1% water in oil shortens a ballbearings life w 80%? keep your engines hot enough to evaporate the water.... :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Use an Amsoil by-pass filter and it removes the water.

walleyehed

Admiral

Curve ball..........the condensation forms when the engine is shut down and cools off....Are you saying it's ok for the water to "sit" in the engine, as opposed to being filtered out???????<br />Water filter is worth zero once condensation has formed.<br />Don't understand marketing I guess.....They don't fill ya full of crap in the aviation industry, there's no room for error. We deal in proven,(and ONLY proven) Data....... :)

Skinnywater

Commander

The longevity of an automobile depends more on the engineering of its design and the quality of its components.<br />The longest lasting automobile would be one that is cruised at highway speeds constantly.<br />All the lubricants would outlast the tires.<br />In a sense they already do. The problem with extending oil change services is that the tires need to be aired and rotated, the battery needs servicing, bulbs and wipers need attention before the oil needs changing. <br /><br />The most valuable information on the longevity of an automobile, its lubricants and its maintenance needs are found in the owners manuels.<br /><br />An hour on the hoist with a professional inspection of the entire vehicle and a compression/leakdown test would be more informative on a used vehicle.

LubeDude

Admiral

skinnywater:<br /><br />A WAIST TO DO AN OIL ANALYSIS ON A NEW VEHICLE!!<br /><br />I beg to differ!<br /><br />I had an oil analisis save my **Z on a new car one time. it showed glycol in the oil! :eek: Bad head gasket from the factory! would have shortend the life of that engine conciderably by the time it was found without the analysis!!<br />My point exactly!!<br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Walley head........Condensation, in a motor, is pretty much unavoidable. As you say, all you have to do is to heat up the motor and let it cool back down in the right atmospheric conditions.<br /><br />Water in the oil, from condensation, does two different things.<br /><br />a) when sitting in contact with dino oil it forms sulphuric acid. So use synthetic oil and you have no sulpher content to form acid. <br /><br />b)wears surfaces that require lubrication, when they are moving, because water and it's emulsified by-products do not lubricate. <br /><br />Therefore:<br /><br />If you use an oil that does not form acid and a filter that removes condensation moisture and emulsions.....<br /><br />Well you're a smart guy. You can figure out the rest.

Skinnywater

Commander

The oil analysis is an excellent diagnostic tool if you suspect you have a problem.

kenneths

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boomyal, good point on oil type creating a sulfuric reaction....never thought about (didn't know) synthetics preventing that...we don't have total synthetics in aircraft piston engines, only semi-syn. Turbines all use total syn., though.....<br />Good info...thanks. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

SKINNYWATER:<br /><br />Its NOT the water so much as the glycol! If you do not know that it is there in a very minor amount, small enough that you wouldnt see the moisture on the dipstick, it will ruin your engene very quickly not to mention causing all kinds of sludge deposits! <br /><br />Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing??? Youre not making sence!<br /><br />any mechanic knows the dangers of glycol (antifreeze in your oil!! :eek: :eek: <br /><br />LubeDude

LubeDude

Admiral

Boomyal:<br /><br />Well said, except I would have said "water in the oil" instead of "oil in the water"!! :D :D :D <br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

ipso facto! How's that LubeDude?

Skinnywater

Commander

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing???
No, not at all LubeDude. This isn't politics. :) <br />Nothing personal dude, I just have to stay on the cutting edge when it comes to my job. And when I hear there are catastophic failures or problems with the lifeblood of my paycheck, I have to take notice.<br /><br />I've worked in an 11 car line dealership for the past 14 years. Glycol has been used in all of them. We've not replaced a single engine from damage due to glycol contamination. <br />(OK, kinda sorta maybe, back in '97, a Caddy 4100)<br /><br />I've seen some pretty frothy oil due to it. But after the failed part is replaced and the contamination flushed, the car is back burning gas for years and years. <br /><br />I wouldn't recommend running glycol as a lubricant, but the damage is being exagerated in reality.<br /><br />Please, it's your topic and this is more of a disagreement then an arguement. <br />Here, I'll go back and fix it. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Ok, enough on that one!! Ill agree to disagree!!<br /><br />Looks like weve both busted enough knuckles working on cars not to bust them on each other!! :D :D <br /><br />LubeDude

crab bait

Captain

so,ah,,, were do we/i go an get this $20 buc oil test...??? national places please an not say like JIMMYS on 7th st..<br /><br /> altho, jimmy's great if'n he'd put down the bottle alittle bit..<br /><br />on his 'days-of-clearity' he's the bomb..atho, days he's on the juice he's still the bomb.. ( no sparks or open flames,please ) <br /><br />an also,, ( i know i'm about to open a big 'ole can o crude,here )... what is the best brand of dino oil...???<br /><br />i know years ago,, rebuilders told me ,, warrantee void if'n i used a pennsylvannia oil... <br /><br />THE HUNKS OF WAX...( paraffin ) REMEMBER<br />altho, no the case ,now...

LubeDude

Admiral

CrabBait:<br /><br />Maybe this will answer your question! I posted on another Topic!<br /><br />That was interesting what happened with you and the synthetic! It really is a Myth about synthetics causing leaks, usually it is just the other way around!! If there is a weak area they will find it however, due to there seeking ability! Why the oil "cleaning " agent at 6,000 miles??? Ive found the dino Mobil to not be that great of an oil, Honestly the Chevron oils (with super syn) are a great value as they have a great base stock (almost a synthetic) Like Castrol supertec! and a good aditive package for the price they are hard to beat!! Usually $1.08 at Wally-world! Although there really isnt any really bad oil anymore, Even the WallyWord oil is ok if changed regularly!! Still cant believe Id say a thing like that!!<br /><br />LubeDude

tylerin

Commander

Crab bait, I like Kendall always have, always will. Oh and they make synthetics too. As to the 20.00 analysis I haven't a clue

LubeDude

Admiral

You can get the oil analysis kit at my home page, but there are other places to have them done, you might check the oil section of the yellow pages for your area as there may be someplace local, (or closer) !<br /><br />The oil analysis process consists of (1) lubricant sampling, (2) laboratory analysis and (3) interpretation of the results to determine the condition of the fluid and the machinery from which the sample was taken. An oil analysis program can provide critical information for any equipment requiring lubricants-both gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions, gears, bearings, and hydraulic systems. It's useful for owners of passenger cars, over-the-road fleets, off-highway equipment, boats, or high performance vehicles.<br /><br />Make the decision to use Oil Analyzers, Inc. (OAI) to test the lubricants in your equipment or fleet and you'll be partnering with the most advanced computerized testing laboratory today's technology has to offer. Simply collect your samples using our sampling kits and mail them in our pre-addressed packages to our lab. Kits are available with or without return postage. Our technical team will do the rest.<br /><br />Testing is typically completed by the end of the business day following receipt of your sample. Results are reported by fax, mail, or in the case of an impending equipment failure, by telephone. Reports are easy to read and include interpretation and recommendations.<br /><br />LubeDude

LubeDude

Admiral

Kendall oil isnt a Bad oil, I just don't think its worth the $1.99 qt. they want at my local store. I would put my money on the $1.08 qt Chevron Supreme as being as good or better if I had to make that bet.<br /><br />LubeDude