MY dream car?

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: MY dream car?

this will be done this winter it's my ftherin laws but my dream dream car is a 68 shelby gt 500kr convertable
20031276066343321568806.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. <br /><br />Lotta guys are choosing cars because of what they look like or how much thrust they put on your butt when opened up. <br /><br />I like a car to impress me while at the wheel, not the people on the street as I pass by.<br /><br />I have driven a few very powerful cars and mostly didn't like them. . . noise, rattles, lousy handling, worse ride. I have also driven or ridden in some of the most beautiful cars ever and found most of the beauty in the beholding, not in the drive or the ride.<br /><br />I love to drive a Beemer. . .any Beemer. What a pleasure to have it do what I ask, as soon as I ask. I also like most Mercedes, but more of a rider's car and less of a driver's car than a Beemer. I like to drive 1500 miles and get out without groaning and whining with fatigue.<br /><br />MY asked about a car to own, not one to take to the strip, track or opera.<br /><br />For me, a car to look at and not drive: E Jaguar or gull wing 300SL.<br />A car to push me back in the seat, then get out after a few straight-line miles: Any '70s Mopar Hemi, with free 100 octane leaded premium. <br />To cruise the strip in Ft. Lauderdale: '57 Lincoln Premier convertible, robin's egg blue with white top and interior.<br /><br />For the real world, my budget, my environment, my life: I don't think I would like anything better than what I have.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Different strokes for different folks JB, You can have your beemer. Give me shake rattle and roll American raw power anyday. :) Actually I would rather drive my 2500 ram truck than most anything. Rough ride and all, dont ask me why I just love it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's what matters, Flahthead. What you want to drive everyday in your real life.<br /><br />See. We do agree after all. :)

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

Real men dont drive trucks with spark plugs.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

the glow and go contingent has spoken :rolleyes: <br /><br />isuzu used to make a real sludge pot of a diesel, I used to drive one now and then for my boss, delivering tractors with the thing, lol, I think he liked torturing me, would always catch me trying to sneak the tractor onto a flatbed, noooo Ray, take the pup, see ya in a few hours, and walk off chuckling<br /><br />I actually LIKED the pup, but dragging the trailer and virtually any piece of equiptment was tantamount ot tying the thing to a post<br /><br />it took FOREVER to get that thing going, lol, but once rolling along, it was decent, fairly quiet (for a tiny chitbox diesel pickup), but over in philly, where I seemed to ALWAYS have to go, the bridge was an eternity to cross, the hills in the burbs are steeper than you can imagine for a town sixty miles from the atlantic ocean<br /><br />but it never broke, always started right up, ran forever on a tank - I got nearly 50 MPG at a steady 55 coming back up from cape may (I was curious, so I topped it off in the cape and once back at the shop, 49.7, lol, no wonder he always wanted me to use the little heap<br /><br />MY fave was the 1800 LoadStar IH crew cab wrecker, had the old IH school bus front, big ol wrecker, gas job that made that roaring International sound, loved it, had a 392 that guzzled gas by the barrel, but would pull an 18 wheeler stuck in mud out with the granny gear, always had to bull winch em out with the diesel wrecker, but it was a single screw<br /><br />oh yeah<br /><br />MY fave truck?<br /><br />I love the M class Mercedes too, its perfect.<br /><br />but I would have to try out that big Lexus first, ive driven the lexus V-8 in LS 400 form, and it is a PHENOMINAL engine, in a competent SUV chassis like the 470, I bet its one sweet ride<br /><br /> :cool:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

This is always a tough one. I would love to do a ground up resto on a 59 Caddy convertible with those naughty big wings. Those are just too cool of cars, all low slung and have more hood acreage than a national forest. Tied for first place with the Caddy is a Jag C Type, another too cool car. I also am fond of the usual Lambo Diablos, Ferrari Enzos and all that. Of course, if I could only have one vehicle, it would have to be useful, so I am split between a diesel Dodge Ram and diesel Ford SuperDuty.<br /><br />Hey Castaway, you remember the old International Scout II with the skeevy Nissan diesel? Now THAT was a slow, hard to get going mess....Isuzu makes pretty good diesels, especially now. Isuzu is who makes the diesel that goes in the GM fullsize rigs....

mattttt25

Commander

jb- the beemers are nice to drive if you can keep them out of the mechanic's shop. they seem to have a problem with that.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

now don't be changin the rules midstream JB :p <br />never said it had to be a "daily driver"...<br />JasonJ... nice choice bro! :D <br />better yet, '76 eldo convertible. last year of<br />the caddy boat-sized soft top. have fond memories<br />of going to spring break in ft. lauderdale in<br />a baby blue/white one... a cruising dream with<br />lots of room for cute hitchhikers ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander

mellow,<br /><br />Now you didn't really pick up hitch-hikers, did you?<br /><br />Don't you know that you could get killed! :D LoL<br /><br />Boy do I wish for those days when you could hitch-hike, scitch behind a car when it snowed, ride in the back of an open pick-up truck, or ride on the open tail-gate.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Kenny, I wasn't really scared of the bikini clad<br />hitch-hikers we picked up in Ft. Lauderdale...<br />and we called it "hitchin'" up here BTW.<br />lost many gloves to them old bumbers back in the<br />day :D

Carphunter

Commander

Mellow, and others, here are the pictures of my dream car, the 1970 Buick GSX in the Saturn yellow color. <br /><br />This is my first attempt at posting pictures, so forgive me if I screw up.<br /><br />
fa5592ba.jpg

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and yellow to boot! ;) <br />MY old '71 challenger R/T 383 might give it a good<br />race...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

71dodgemartich.jpg
<br />except mine was purple with black vinyl top.<br />factory HURST 4 speed...mmmmmmmm

Carphunter

Commander

Well, I know about as much about cars as I do outboards.............and I think most of you know that I am not the most knowledgeable outboard mechanic here. Anyway, I stole these specs on the Buick GSX from another site. You guys can compare these specs with the others and see how it fares.<br /><br />455 ci motor<br /><br />Horsepower - 350 @ 4600 rpm<br /><br />Displacement - 7450 cc<br /><br />Torque - 510 lb-ft @ 2800 rpm<br /><br />0-60 - 5.8 sec.<br /><br />0-100 - 15.2 sec.<br /><br />1/4 mile - 14.4 sec @ 97 mph<br /><br />Price (1970) - $4,478.00<br /><br />I will shut-up about my dream car now.<br /><br />Thank you for your time. :p <br /><br />Beeeeaaaaaaaautiful Mellow!!!