Ford turbo for 6.9 or 7.3 diesel

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
What would the going price be for a used complete turbo setup for the 7.3 diesel? This is for my truck.<br /><br />I hope this doesn't get poofed. I'm just getting a ball park idea what a person should pay.<br /><br />Thanks....SS

D

DJ

Re: Ford turbo for 6.9 or 7.3 diesel

SS,<br /><br />There are too many variables to put a ball park price on it. One would need to know:<br /><br />1. Electronic or mechanical injection system.<br /><br />2. Year.<br /><br />3. 6.9 or 7.3. Slightly different animals.<br /><br />A word of caution. The non-turbo 6.9 and 7.3 engines were not designed to handle boost without modification. The modifications mostly dealt with fuel delivery and pistons.<br /><br />Putting a turbo on a no turbo engine almost always resulted in melted pistons. The main reason being that people get greedy with the amount of boost they felt was acceptable.<br /><br />It can be done as long as the amount of boost is kept reasonable and pyrometers are installed in the exhaust headers to CLOSELY watch exhaust temperatures.<br /><br />Be CAREFUL about the claims made by aftermarket companies. They didn't design or build the engine and they don't have to warrant their failures if they do not want to.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My engine is a 94, 7.3, the year in which they had both turbo and non turbo. The one that I am looking at is on a 94 turbo 7.3 engine that the lower end went out of. It is a Ford turbo. I do have mechanical injectors. I know that I have to change to differnt glowplugs. The turbo I'm looking at does not have any electronics. My engine has 106K miles on it. Been told that I sholdn't have any problems with it.<br /><br />Thanks SS

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SS, is your's an IDI engine or DI engine?<br />Again, 2 different breeds al together.<br /><br />I think in 1994 the PS was only available with a 5 speed behind it.

bubbakat

Captain

S S Did you get your light flickering problem taken care of? The reason I ask is because my dodge is doing it also

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

ssmayfloat-<br />Go here for all the answers to every question you could ever imagine about Ford diesels:<br /> ford diesel info <br /><br />Spend a couple years looking through the forums....

SpinnerBait_Nut

SS, if your's is an IDI engine, then make sure the turbo is off one also.<br /><br />Like I said, they are 2 different breeds of creatures.<br /><br />Also wanted to add, if you have any questions about the Ford diesels, then email this guy, dieselmann@intellidog.com <br />He is a Ford master tech for the Ford diesels from the 6.9L to the present Power Strokes.<br /><br />You can also visit him here, http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html <br />you won't be sorry.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Spinner and the rest of you. I'm sure those sites are going to be of big help. I purchased a turbo off a 94 IDI. It is exactly the same engine as my non-turbo IDI and same year. Several sources say that it will work without any problems. <br /><br />New ones go for 2500 and up. Got this one for 650 with all the stuff to make it work. I think I did good. Just hope it helps me pull my boat up those steep grades without slowing down to 15mph.<br /><br />When I go boating, I don't want to spend the day on the road. :D .....SS

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey SS, I have a 1989 IDI with turbo and it makes a big difference.<br /><br />Mine has the Banks system on it with big pipe and all, and it was amazing the difference it made when pulling.<br /><br />It will now hook to my 27' camper and haul it to Knoxville, Tenn, and once on the interstate will not look back or even thing about getting down low enough to have to change gears and it's a 5 speed.<br /><br />Hope it works out fo you.

D

DJ

SS MAYFLOAT,<br /><br />BE CAREFUL! You can bolt all that stuff up and it will go like a bat out &*&*, for a while. Then you'll spend lots of time, on the side of the road, with pieces laying all over the place.<br /><br />Don't even consider it without pyrometers and paying attention to what they are telling you!<br /><br />If you think you're going to run with the Powerstrokes, forget it. You can come close, for awhile, then-BOOM!<br /><br />That engine WAS NOT designed to be boosted. Can you get away with it-yes? However, don't let your right foot override your brain.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

SS,<br /><br />Like the post up above, go to http://www.thedieselstop.com and ask the question there. I spend a lot of time there, but I'm in the 99+ forum.<br /><br />Here is another good link... http://www.houstonareapowerstrokes.com (Of couse I'm the webmaster so I say it is a good link) the white truck on the front page is mine!<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />ps...I had a 84 6.9 idi......didn't matter what I pulled, it was the same....totally loaded or empty, not much takeoff, but would pull at 70mph all day long passing the gassers!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Djohns, I'm Not planning on lead footing the rascal. I just need the torque on some of these steep grades around here. As it is now, my E250 with a 300 six can outpull my F350 up the same grade. The 6 cyl would only drop to about 30 mph, where the diesel dropped down to 20 to 25. I don't cruise it over 60. At 60 my rpm is about 2900 and I don't push it any further than I have to.<br /><br />I have read alot on turbos in the Ford truck enthusists forum. Once it is set up, I will be checking the exhaust temps to make sure I'm in the right range. Like I said before the truck has only 106K miles on it, so it is just broke in.<br /><br />Hopefully I can get some better mileage of that of a turbo. I'll keep you posted on how its doing. It is being shipped to me now, so I'm just waiting.<br /><br />Thanks.....SS

Link

Rear Admiral

WOW Where you guys when I was working on my 85 6.9<br />Great read and a lot of info in the web sites<br /><br />Link