calling all chef's

one more cast

Captain
I want to buy some good pots and pans and I'm not sure what to get. I just have a home style gas stove. so far I like stainless Cuisinart or emerilware with the copper sandwiched bottoms.is the copper or alum bottoms better?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: calling all chef's

hello<br /> my revere ware copper bottoms get blackend and discolored on my gas stove but they work very well. no hot spots. other than the bottoms are tough to keep shiney( I dont bother anymore) the copper bottoms work great for me

tylerin

Commander

Rodbolt, just use lemon for the copper. One more cast, we use copper too, but I prefer the old black skillet

one more cast

Captain

my three favorite's are a revere stock pot,an old heavy aluminum alloy presto pressure cooker and my cast iron fry pans.the cast iron is raising havic with our new white sink.(If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.) and I really like the feel of that heavy stainless, I was just wondering if they are worth the money.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

stainless is "sticky" unless of course you have one of the non stick coatings on the inside, now, as a lover of those cast iron pans as well, I say do THIS ... get you a nice liner for that sink, plastic insert or "tub"<br /><br />but honestly ... unless yer saucing in cast iron, not good cause most sauce ingredients are "reactive" in nature, you just wipe the pan out with a little salt and oil on a paper towel, never put iron in water, thats what emril sez, justin wilson sez, and in my experience, what I sez too!<br /><br />tfal is my fave, if money isnt an issue, caphalon is my fave, I bought one on clearance for thirty bucks, love it love it love it, but you can get you a whole set of tfal on sale for sixty bucks, lemme tell ya, tfal ROCKS, just be careful of high heat with non stick surfaces<br /><br />gotta go get a cooler of ice for this afternoons beer party, woo hoo, s'ever boddy happy?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />sticky stainess - hot pan, cold oil, food wont stick<br /><br />Jeff Smith<br /><br />Rays note on above<br /><br />Usually it wont Jeff, USUALLY<br /><br />one last note, ack, I hate cooking posts, to season that iron pot, 1/4 cup salt, cup of oil, let it get med hot for about two hours<br /><br />cool off, dump out, wipe out, no water, go cookin

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't like non-stick pots and pans. They release a gas when you cook with them that causes something like flu symptoms if you inhale enough of it. It's like eating man made foods, cooking on these surfaces just ain't natural. I love LOVE LOVE my Members Mark stainless from Sam's. Get the set with SOLID handles, not the cheap hollow tube handles. <br /><br />Sure they are "sticky", you can't throw some stuff in there, put it over heat and walk off. You actually have to COOK if you use stainless pots/pans. <br /><br />Cast Iron is another favorite of mine. My Members Mark has thick bottoms that evenly distribute heat, just like cast iron. Plus they retain heat for frying and whatnot, so they don't heat up and cool down in cycles like aluminum non-stick cook ware. I just hate when hot grease cools down when you put frozen food in there to fry. This is cool down is lessened if you use cast iron or heavy stainless/aluminum sandwhiched cook ware; with cast iron being better for keeping and holding temps.<br /><br />Just my .02

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most all aluminum pots were removed from the Firehouses because of the link to alzheimers. Stainless was the pot of choice. Not totally proven ,but why take a chance. And if anybody can wear out something, it's a bunch of firemen. Stainless was the best choice. nevjb

one more cast

Captain

thanks for the in-put guys, has anyone owned that enamel covered cast iron. I was looking at that members mark at sam's and was wondering how the alum.sandwiched bottoms worked. also I didn't I shouldn't use water on cast iron. I always used water just no soap.

SoulWinner

Commander

I have used enamel ware. It is too thin for my taste and the enamel chips off easier than you would think.<br /><br />The aluminum sandwhich bottoms on the Menbers Mark use aluminum for it's heat disipation/absorbtion properties. The aluminum helps the pot/pan heat evenly across the bottom, eliminating hot spots. It's good stuff, but you gotts watch it while you cook and get used to cooking with lower temps, especially if you have natural gas. Stainless can be damaged by excessive heat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

For kettles and double boiler, using old stainless revereware from the late fifties.<br />Still looks great, a little acidic food cleans the copper right up.<br /><br />One large cast iron skillet, and a $15 Mirro teflon that is used primarily for eggs.<br /><br />As stated above, teflon releases a poisonous gas when heated, which is instantly deadly to birds. <br />A woman in our parrot club lost 2 macaws while baking cookies on teflon pans.<br />My ex-girlfriend lost 41 small parrots one day. Since I also have several parrots, there ain't much teflon being used in my house.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, OMC.<br /><br />I use a variety, depending on what I am doing.<br /><br />When even, controlled temp and quick heat and cool are important, I use solid copper. It is expensive and requires maintenance. All of my sold copper came from auctions and flea markets at very reasonable prices. When kept polished (Easy with Goddard's or Wright's Copper Cream) it decorates my kitchen. Don't use it for tomato dishes unless it is tin (not stainless steel)lined.<br /><br />My stock pot is heavy cast aluminum from the 50s (Burpee 21 qt. pressure canner).<br /><br />I have bits of a set of Carleton Ware from the 50's, which is stainless clad copper. Very good, but not as good as solid.<br /><br />Two of my daughters have All Clad stainless clad aluminum and both swear by it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I don't find the SSteel pans sticky at all...<br />would never use anything but a good SS clad or<br />the old fashioned cast iron. aluminum does not<br />hold heat well and any pan with teflon will<br />end up flaking and become part of your diet.<br />if'n I had the bucks or could find one cheap<br />at a garage sale, would use copper like JB in<br />a heartbeat.<br />I still have the revereware we got for a wedding<br />present 16yrs ago. auto dishwasher/soap cleans<br />the copper bottom all by itself BTW.<br />whatever you buy, a good set will outlive you.<br />a cheap set will last a few years... maybe.

11 footer

Lieutenant

NSF stainless steel is the best brand.<br /><br />We use them for our home and resterant, they will last a lifetime.

one more cast

Captain

I've been reading some reviews and as of this time the emerilware seems to the closest to being where I want to be as far as price vs. quality.It is stainless with both copper and aluminum clad bottoms.I really dont care for the glass lids but A 10 pc set goes for around $200.I'll keep looking for awhile to see what else I can find.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Mom got a set of these 45+ years ago, Lifetime, heavy stainless waterless cooking design. Her 59 year old Revereware went into the camping mess kit, and is now my primary cookware.<br /> <br /> http://www.lifetimecookware.com/english/catalog/sets.asp <br /><br />Replacement parts are still available to match her set!! <br /><br />They are made by The West Bend Company, the same one that used to make outboards, and the origins of the Chrysler outboards.<br /><br /> http://www.lifetimecookware.com/english/aboutwestbend.asp

Link

Rear Admiral

Wow I didn't know so many guys did the cooking!!<br />I do 99% of all the cooking in our family, not because my wife isn't a good cook but because I just like to. (besides I hate doing dishes) :) <br /><br />My favorite is cast irion but gave it up do to the dish washer (wife) wouldn't listen and kept ruining the seasoning.<br /><br />A few friends recommended BELGIQUE and for Xmas a couple years ago I got a set. They have thick Alum bottoms and the rest is made of SS. They seem to be just fine. The frying pans are made the same way with a non stick surface. Except for the big 12 inch one which is all Alum with a non stick surface. I really use the 12 inch one a lot.<br /><br />The one down side on the frying pans is keeping the Alum bottoms clean..

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

We do all of our cooking with the "black" pans, dutch ovens, etc. (good old fashion cast iron).<br /><br />once you have them seasoned, they are naturally stick free, cook evenly, clean up super easily (never use dish soap as you take off the seasoning).<br /><br />Once you start cooking with these, you'll never go back to the "new" stuff.

Fly Rod

Commander

copper bottoms or all stainless think about fry pans with metal handles if you like putting them in the oven.Cast iron are old throw backs to yester year but are great.

one more cast

Captain

The search is over, after many hours of looking at,talking about, and reading about cookware, I bought a set of Members Mark tri-ply stainless pro cookware from Sam's club for $120. they look and feel as good as the $500 all-clad cookware.Time will tell.