Any Dieseldocters out there

G DANE

Commander
My wife has a Peugeot Diesel Van. The last 2 years it has started loosing especially low-end torque, mostly when engine is cold. It is a 2,5 l turbo diesel. Is has 80.000 miles on it. It starts by a flick of the key even in hard frost and iddles fine from first rev. The first minute it will hardly rev up when under load. We have to get a pollution certificate on all commercial vehicles here every other year, and this year they told me it had very low value. Can a Diesel run lean ? What would cause it ?? It doesnt smoke even at full throttle.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any Dieseldocters out there

If you have a injector pump shop close by, take it to them and let them check the injector pump.<br />It might be going bad.<br /><br />Don't know on your brand of diesel, but they have some sort of gauge they can put on them to test to see what kind of pressure they are putting out.<br /><br />Have you checked the air cleaner lately?<br />Fuel filter?<br /><br />Water in fuel maybe?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Sure, a diesel can run lean... Many things can cause it to run lean like dirty fuel filters, plugged injectors/nozzels, a tired out injector pump...

G DANE

Commander

Thanks SBN<br /><br />I will start at checking the filters, I havnt changed them the 3 years She had it, and the fuel filter looks like no mechanic has touched it too at the regular services. The pump was checked 7500 miles ago, it was ok by then. It has a water seperator, i tryed to empty it, but there was nothing in it. Photo of car and wife : http://www.romantiskbad.dk :)

D

DJ

G Dane,<br /><br />Filters, filters, filters.<br /><br />Also, if it is turbocharged with a wastegate, the gate stuck open will allow overboost and a lean condition.

G DANE

Commander

Thanks - I will start at changing both filters.

Skinnywater

Commander

Since your is a turbo diesel. Pump boost enrichment system has to be checked out. Your diesel has an overload switch on the intake that measures boost pressure, so boost enrichment can occur. This switch as well as a pressure hose fitting gets plugged with soot and blowby gasses. A simple cleaning usually rectifies the problem.<br />If your pump is internally loseing its calibration. A simple adjustment of the aneroid capsule will restore normal enrichment.

G DANE

Commander

Thanks for your replies - I will take a look at your suggestions.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know Peugot, but Volvo's have an anaeroid in the fuel pump to limit smoking. Basically it looks for turbo pressure and prevents full fuel flow (and power) until the turbo spins up. If the turbo is weak, or the anaeroid is bad, it will result in low power and no smoke. I would look at the turbo. They're very simple. If it looks good and spins freely, then its fine. Then start checking fuel.

Jeffon2ndMate

Recruit

If you havn't drained the water seperator in three years and nothing comes out, THE DRAIN VALVE IS PROBABLY CLOGGED. Heve the Mechs clean that when they change your filters, and then drain alittle every month or so. (Usually when you check your oil) Also, If the engine is only three years old, it should have a computer control injector pump. In short, this computer monitors everything the engine does. If there is a problem, it will put a code in the computer that the mechanic can access and use to diagnose.(Not a cheap process either) For the most part, pretty much of what everybody posted holds the simplest and cheapest angle of action. FILTERS!!! Some diesels have up to 3 fuel filters, so inquire when you buy the replacement. If this is turbocharged, check if it is working.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Another thing to check is for exhaust leaks before the turbo. It doesn't take much of a leak to reduce pressure to the turbo which obviously reduces boost, which in turn loses power. We have an Isuzu NPR that has a 4 cylinder turbo diesel and it had an exhaust leak before the turbo. The truck was sluggish, didn't accelerate like it used to. Fixed the leak, fixed the problem. Good luck...

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

wow, shes a pretty one, nice curves, great headlights, and a cute rear end!<br /><br />yer wife looks nice too!!!!<br /><br /> :eek:

G DANE

Commander

Thanks Ray I´m quite proud of her - and the wife is OK too :D