2000 Wrangler TJ front suspension

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an intermittant problem with a rather startling shaking of the steering wheel after hitting a chuck hole at speed. <br /><br />I have already had the ball joints checked. I have installed new shocks and a new steering damper. Also, the connecting links to the sway bar have been replaced.<br /><br />It was a real bad winter last year and the spring thaw turned the road to muck, so Lord knows what kind a wear and tear occurred.<br /><br />This series Wrangler has the coil springs, so it is different than the older leaf spring models from before 1996.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br />Jinx

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2000 Wrangler TJ front suspension

Sounds as if the shimmy tap on the wobble shaft is loose! :p <br /><br />J/K<br />Have you had it realigned since this started?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

try something simple first,rotate the tires.this works 90% of the time.Did you use Mopar replacement parts??? Charlie

jinx

New tires on front, replacement connecting links were Mopar, shocks and damper were not.<br /><br />Alignment has not been done.<br /><br />Any way to check for play in a steering box? <br /><br />Jinx

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

No adjustment on the steering box in the later models.What size tires are you running????Tire pressure etc.How about idler and pitman arm.charlie

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have always seen that a bump induced shimmy ends up being a tire issue. You said the front tires are new? What conditon are the rear tires? As a rule, all tires should be roughly the same condition on a 4 wheel drive, as the different diameters on differently worn tires can wreak havoc on the axles, differentials, and transfer case as well as all those u-joints. Has this only gone on with the current tire setup?. Swapping fronts with rears is a good place to start the process of elimination...

jinx

Tires are roughly in same condition front and rear. I make sure that all are same brand to keep the transfer case from trying to act like a differential!<br /><br />I'm going to check that idler arm. The tires are stock so unsprung weight and such is not an issue.<br /><br />Thanks for your ideas.<br /><br />Jinx

Stratosfied

Ensign

My Dad had a late 70's Ford 4 WD and the steering did the same thing. I don't recall exactly what the thing was called but he replaced the stock "horizontal shock absorber" which had something to do with the steering. It was located at the front of the truck and was about 1 1/2" in Dia. and moved with the steering wheel. I think it was called a steering damper. He bought one that was about 3" in Dia. and it smooothed it right out. I hope this helps.

tylerin

Commander

Check pitman and idler arms, easy fix.Get both tires off the ground and wiggle the tires back and forth..... You'll find some play somewhere. Good luck

Skinnywater

Commander

I'll agree with Stratosfied. The part is a steering damper. The damper might be blown or the bushings in it worn.