Anyone use CB radio?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anyone use CB radio?

Hey guys, I'll let you in on a little secret-<br />Get an antenna that puts your signal on the horizon instead of up high in the air to "warm the clouds", and you will get out as well with 5 watts as you will with 100 watts with a lower gain whip antenna. No joke! And it will be legal, too. SSB will always be heard farther than AM, as most of you know. Better yet, it will cost same or less than an illegal amp, and it will vastly improve what you can hear, unlike the amp.<br /><br />I have somewhat routinely made contacts 80-100 miles away with my 2 watt hand held ham radio on 440 Mhz.(FM), a strictly line of sight frequency all because of a home made gain antenna. And boy do I hear better, and my neighbors have nothing to gripe about. Only thing is directional is a good bit harder when mobile, though longer whips are more efficient at keeping the signal down where it can get the job done than shorter whips.<br /><br />I'll throw out the invitation to you all that since you have the good sense and manners to get along on this fine forum: consider upgrading to ham radio. There is a whole big world of radio beyond CB, as I myself found out some years ago. I still know some fine folks who use CB- no problem there, but you have to put up with a lot of nonsense from the idiots out there. The Technician Amateur license is fairly easy to get nowadays. Just pass a couple little multiple guess tests and get your license. Radio Shack has study guides. The you can talk as far as you'd care to with others who for the most part will give you no static at all. The ham community is a pretty tight knit group of really decent folks, much like the gang here. <br /><br />Stu KD6NEM

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

too bad they dont make a wireless antenna, THAT would be cool<br /><br />I guess about the time they have the cherry 2000 fully functional, it will happen ... about 100 years behind schedule!

Link

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm well I'm thinking of installing one for road trips.. but in town here that bands is even worse now..was bored the other night and tuned the IC 737 to scan the CB band. (pretty nasty) but on the road 2 meters ans 440 can sometimes be dead. Mabe I'll go to the NTDWB or what ever its called now and put out a CQ!

rwise

Captain

You know your getin out when you turn those stainless steel whips blue! :D

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Uniden Grant XL, extra channels, much more power, going to a little 100 watt linear and a 5/8 wave antenna on my SuperDuty roof. <br />I travel 50-60k miles a year and mainly use it for highway info and bear reports but when I am really bored I will go to the sidebands and chat.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use to have one mounted in my old Dodge van, as we did a lot of road trips on the West coast, Mid West and Canada. It was worth it's weight in gold, especially along my "Bird Dog" (radar detector), during the time the national speed limit was reduced to 55 mph. :mad: <br /><br />I still have my old Dodge van, which is a 1972 and has over 215,000 miles on it and looks like hell. My wife has refused to ride in it for nearly 8 years now, but it still runs great. I just can't get rid of yet, too sentimental I guess. :( <br /><br />I still use a CB, as I do a number of road trip's out here in the West, (much newer and upgraded, with more back up "horse power".) I have a cheapie 40 channel CB for my boat that I use in Mexico. It isn't to replace my Marine VHF, but the cost of Marine radios keeps the smaller fishing boat operators from using them there. Whereas the CB's are quite cheap now days and are used by nearly all the small boat operators, as well as all of the larger boats, who use both.<br /><br /> ...Bob in Calif...