Injector noise vs. piston slap in FI Honda.

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My '95 Honda Odyssey with the four cylinder engine rattles when cold, as it heats up the rattle becomes less and less noticeable. When I described this to my mechanic, he said 'piston slap'. I always thought it might be injectors but I've only had a diesel Rabbit and this van that were injected. The rig has 144k. Opinions?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Injector noise vs. piston slap in FI Honda.

I'd say piston slap as well.. The aluminum pistons expand as they heat up which explains the less noticable noise as the engine heats up.. Don't believe those injectors would be that noisey, just a light "ticking" sound and you'd have to be pretty close to hear it...

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm....So what's the prognosis on piston slap? Is the wear measured by decibels or oil usage or compression? I add a quart between 3500 mile oil changes now. I hoped this rig would go to 200k before I had to do anything with it.

Skinnywater

Commander

If the rattle is coming from the injector area it may be wear in the valve train. Camshaft, followers, lifters or rockers shafts.<br /><br />Piston slap is usually a benign noise if oil usage isn't an issue.

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Gents. If I ever had an engine with piston slap before I may not have recognized it or misunderstood it. In the old days of Chevy 216's and 235's, and flathead Fords, I rebuilt a few engines and even into the 70's once or twice but I'm gettin' too old to change my oil in the Safeway parking lot and I don't want to go back to it.