Brake pads

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well I hope this is the right spot for this.<br /><br />I am going to have to replace a set of brake pads on my Jeep shortly and was wanting some opnions on the best to use.<br /><br />Here is the situation.<br /><br />It's used in a 90 mile run ever day that is stop and go on an average of ever 100' or so, give or take.<br /><br />So you can see that it builds some heat up on them.<br /><br />I plan on changing the pads and rotors at the same time and that is why I am asking for the best pad for this situation.<br />Thanks in advance.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: Brake pads

Hey SBN, Personnaly I like Bendix pads. Lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle. I replace them myself and never ad to buy another set. Little bit of a pain to get refund but at 30 bucks a set worth it.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SBN,<br /><br />I really like the ceramic brake pads. Ceramic does not conduct heat, no Brake Dust, they have a smoother action and last longer.<br /><br />Want to spend even more money, consider using slotted rotors. Much better at disapating heat and therefor are excellent for those of us who use their trucks to trailer.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents.<br /><br />Doug

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

::remembering how easy it is to drop a wet ceramic plate::<br /><br />smoother? I guess so, no stopping power!!!! just cut the brake hoses, that will REALLY smooth it out!<br /><br />just kidding, Im sure they are great, me personally, I would rather replace pads then replace those rotors, which is something a ceramic pad may eat right up!<br /><br />I heard that pep boys Brute Force pads are just about the best there is, but that Bendix deal is tough to beat...<br /><br />(especially for me, I hear that GM trucks have only three achilles heels, (four if you count early four banger head gaskets), one, EGR valves, two, fuel filter sensitive, replace often, and three, cant keep front brakes on em<br /><br />and of course, my brand new S-10 is groaning away at certain speeds/ braking pressures, I dont care, brakes are an afterthought anyway, lol, nice loud horn in the thing!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Just replaced the front pads in my 2002 S-10 with Bendix high-performance low-dust pads. $60 with lifetime warranty. Haven't washed the truck yet to check out the 'low dust' claim, but there is definitely a noticable increase in stopping power over the stock pads. Less pushing on the pedal to get stopped, and if I nail them it really grabs quick. I recommend them.

D

DJ

SBN,<br /><br />Long life and great stopping power, in the same sentence, are oxymorons.<br /><br />You cannot have both in the same pad. Brake pad formulas are a study in compromise. The harder they are, the longer it takes to stop.<br /><br />I have been witness to some very sophisticated, on vehicle, brake testing. The so called "hard" pads were in many cases truly frightening.<br /><br />Remember this. NO aftermarket brake material maker tests their product for true on road performance. They take the OEM data and extrapulate from there by how much they changed the material formula. In other words, it's a guess from the OEM data.<br /><br />I don't mess with brakes and steering. OEM, all the way.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

Ill take atopping power over long life, especially since they have a lifetime warrantee<br /><br />which is a gamble they take, double the price, see if they come back again, then when they do, its just the normal profit, but THEN the consumer is buzzed, and suggests the brand to all of HIS (or her) buddies.<br /><br />most people dont even send in rebates, and marketers know this<br /><br /> :rolleyes:

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LOL, love that signature snapper, those things help dont they?<br /><br />Im not quite as fiesty lately, I took my six foot one and a half inch body down into the six foot basement, and didnt quite duck enough, cast iron cleanout got me but GOOD, now I am about six two with the lumped noggin ...<br /><br />had a headache for two days, but I didnt bleed or anything, so I dont think I cracked the ol block<br /><br />but DAYUM do mah head HOIT<br /><br />(dont want to tell the nurse herself about it, cuz she used to laugh like hell over her ex banging his 6-5 noggin down there a lot, she laughs and laughs about that, saying what a dumbazz!!!! )<br /><br /> :p

D

DJ

Snapperbait,<br /><br />The product you mentioned was one in the tests I witnessed. I wouldn't want to try a panic stop with it.

Skinnywater

Commander

Metallic or semi metallic. <br />The lifetime pads tend to be hard.<br />Dust shouldn't be an issue on the Jeep.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Friend of mine is a rural route mail carrier.<br />He changes out his pads about every 2 months if I remember correctly. He said ceramics are no good, uses a semi metallic that have a life of the vehicle warranty. The parts store hates him. <br /><br />He also takes off the hub caps, to allow the dust to blow out and aid in cooling.