wireless network

mattttt25

Commander
i have a new gateway m675x on the way. i opted for the internal 802.11g card to allow wireless internet. i also have a gateway g router coming as well. along with the new comcast cable modem, i think i am set to do some high speed cruising at home from anywhere in the house.<br /><br />anyone have experience with this? i have been told the g cards are nearly as fast as being plugged in. what kind of range should i see- been told anything from 75-300 ft. anyone have problems with interference - was told i could have issues with cell and cordless phones, baby monitor, etc.<br /><br />thanks-

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: wireless network

Hey Mattt. I hooked up with comcast about 2 months ago and will never go back to dial up. I am using linksys 802.11B with my computer in the basement running wireless. The setup wizard that came with the router and the wireless adapter were easy to install. Make sure after you get it all installed you change your passwords and enable WEP eccryption to 128K. I believe the G system runs at 5.6Gig. Mine runs at 2.4G and it is plenty fast for me. Only problems I have is occationally I have to reset the router.

mattttt25

Commander

thanks for the info. i think g runs at the same freq but much faster. i think a runs at a different freq and is about the same speed as g.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know what the range is, but the data speed for the two standards are <br />802.11b 11Mbs<br />802.11g 54Mbs<br /><br />With the 54Mbs (Megabits per Second) you will probably never want wire again. Most people's home networks are 10Mbs if they are older and 100Mbs if they are newer. If you run a 100Mbs network now, the 11Mbs does seem noticably slower. When you go to the 54Mbs, you will think you are connected by a wire.<br /><br />All speeds are maximum, actual throughput will less in all cases because of two way traffic that is not streamed.