More info on oil than you can handle!!!

LubeDude

Admiral
Ive been visiting this forum for quite sometime! It has information on everything from motor oil, 2 cycle oil to filters! Aslo lots of oil analysis posts! Very informative!!<br /><br />You may register to post, and questions are always allowed, but be VERY carefull about posting advice unless you are ready to back it up with scientific facts as the main bunch of guys that are on this forum are people that either do or have worked in the oil related business and they really know there stuff and you will be fried if you post something from the seat of your pants! Its getting a little softer all the time though!<br /><br /> web page

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: More info on oil than you can handle!!!

LubeDude, Hello! You know I'm one of those guys that are very opinionated about the oils available, and I want to ask your reason for posting the link to the web page.<br />I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, I'm asking if this is to provide more info on the Amzoil products, or is this a "see here, I told ya" type post.<br /> I also see on the forum for 2-stroke oils, there is just as much controversy there, as there is here.<br />To be polite....whats the point???? :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Actually the site is a Sheafers site, but there is a lot of Asmoil discusion there, as well as every other oil!! No, Its just to give the guys on the forum something to check out!! I just find it interesting to go there and check things like filters and what the make up of some of the oils are! Car, Truck, and Boat! <br /><br />Im actually trying not to be to opinionated latly!! <br /><br />I see in other posts that you have picked an oil to try in your outboard, Should be fine!!<br /><br />You asked the question with a lot of tact though!!!<br /><br />LubeDude

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's ok LubeDude, I understand. They just hammered you too hard. I'll stay opinionated for both of us. ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

I probably should not have said "opinionated", I should have said "Vocal"!<br /><br />Im VERY Opinionated still! Not just about oil either!!<br /><br />I feel I have my education degrees from "The School of Hard Knocks" Much better than Harvard in everyday life!<br /><br />I Never post just to be heard, I always have a GOOD reason for what I Post! (Usually experience)! It always drives me crazy when someone argues with you just for the sake of arguing, or that is just the way they "feel" about something!<br /><br />Oh well, I quess you are always going to have that, especially about "OIL" As it is a "RELIGION" to some!!<br /><br />One final word! (The one that will get me in the most trouble)!!!<br /><br />Am I an Amsoil dealer, Yes! Why? Not to make money, I rarely sell it to anyone but I will! I dont care where you get it! I use it because it works, and VERY good at that!! I do not like the ML marketing either! When I do mention it to someone I do so "only" because I personally know it will work in there aplication! Usually better than other products in the same application! I do not care if it is TCW or anyother thing "Rated"! Ive used it for the past 25+ years in everything from air tools, lawn and garden, chainsaws, outboards, cars, trucks, etc!!!<br /><br />NEVER a problem!!<br /><br />Moderator:<br /><br />Even if this sounds like an add for Amsoil, it wasnt ment to be! Id appriciat it if you would leave it on so forum members could see why I post the way that I do!! Im trying to use what little "TACT" that I have!! :D <br /><br />LubeDude<br /><br />I generally do not tell people that have vehicles on warantee to use it!!<br /><br />Enough said

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LubeDude - I followed the link to your site and read the test on using additives. I am a little dense. I have a BMW 540 with 60,000 miles. Is there any additive on the market I should add after the next oil change or should I just continue going with the oil the dealer gives me? I am very interested in your reply because I have been thinking just recently of adding something due to starting to get up there in miles.<br /><br />Thanks!!!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LubeDude, I have a question for ya, with the amsoil two stroke stuff, my outboards are supposed to run somewhere around 24 to one, 32 to one, in that vicinity (lots of old motors, they vary, I would probably just make some 28 to one mix and use it in all of them!)<br /><br />thing is, thats a heavy dose of oil, lots of smoke<br /><br />if I use a synthetic, amsoil, mobil, whichever, does the sythetic oil give that blue pall hanging over the lake? given the tremendous amount of money that goes into a boat, seems silly to squawk over a couple of bucks for oil for the thing<br /><br />it also occurs to me that with the APPARENT superiority of sythetics, you could use less of it - however, I dont know if sythetics are superior in an instantaeous use situation, or if it expressed over the long term, less shear, higher stability, etc etc cold weather viscosity, yadda yadda, all of which is essentially moot when you are dumping it into summertime hot gas and firing it thru the engine once, to be burned up and blown out the pipe - those old motors ran forever on good old dinosaur juice, with only the belching of blue smoke to its detriment.<br /><br />whooops, I blathered AGAIN, let me condense<br /><br />1 - less smoke?<br /><br />2 - use less?<br /><br />3 - worth the expense given its burned up immediatly?<br /><br />thanks dude!

LubeDude

Admiral

Admin5: Sorry for letting this get by without answering you!! I guess I spaced it over the holidays!<br /><br />Aditives are nothing more than flushing your money down the toilet! If you have too much (Money), send it to me, I could use it more wisly!! Here is the main problem (other than some will actually harm you engine in the Long run)!! Manufacturers of oil spend countless millions of dollars engineering there oils to do just what they want them to do! Down to mear drops of some additives per quart! When you pour an aditive into the oil, usually about half a quart, you are deluting the delicate blend of aditives sometimes to a point of uslessness!! Would you delute your beer??? <br /><br />The high milage oils are good for high milage cars, but I do not use one! Synthetics will keep your seals softer than dino oil! However if you have a leak now, you will have a bigger one with synthetic at first! Gaskets will always leak until replaced, but the seals, (if they are not split) May soften over time!! I think a good synthetic in the 5W-30 weight class may be a good place to start! change to 10W-30 in the summer!! Thats not many miles for a Beemer!!<br /><br />LubeDude

LubeDude

Admiral

CASTAWAYRAY:<br /><br />Again, sorry for not anwering your question also!!<br /><br />What engine are you running with all that oil! More isnt better in a 2 cycle!!<br /><br />Id like to know before I answer with more detail!!<br /><br />LubeDude