Computer Problem

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
I bought a new computer with XP about a month ago. Since then I started with cable and am using a router for this system (Hardwired) and am using a wireless adapter for my older ME system. On the XP system I keep getting a blank Internet explorer page on my desktop that says reminder with date and time and it says that it can not find the website. I try hitting the refresh but it does nothing. The only way to close this is to control alt delete and close page. Does anyone know where this might be coming from and how I can stop it from happening. Does XP have some kind of calander or appointment schedule that Is running. This happens at least 4 or 5 times a day. Any help would be appreciated.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: Computer Problem

Man I know what you mean. I have XP and it does all kinds of crazy stuff.I had a simalar problem after I switched to cable. I installed the newest Norton anti virus,, after that most of my problems went away. I figured it was some spyware that got in here and created havock with my system. Not much help I know ,, but you are not alone with the XP troubles.

gonfishn

Commander

Rumor has it that the Musky gods have come down on you for giving Muskie403 so much grief..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Must be an XP thing.<br />Hear of a lot of people having problems with XP lately.<br /><br />But there is a patch for it at www.ohiocaves.com, password, WOOO, WOOO, WOOO :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Wooo, Wooo, Wooo. Darn it did not work. The problem is still there. I have Mcaffes firewall and virus installed and that dosent seem to help. I cleared all my internet history files and it does not show up on the log when it pops up on the screen. Guess I better quit cussing at the muskie gods and quit picking on that 403 character

ebbtide176

Commander

eurolarva, i re-read your post, and cleaned up my other replies, since they don't appear to be close to your problem. maybe i was sleepwalkin to the pc that night :) <br /><br />it just sounds like your problem is with the IE popping up unexpectedly, and not connecting...<br /><br />I don't currently have a running XP box to look at, but you might check for the IE browser kicking off: <br />-task schedular in system tray<br />-while you're on the internet, going to Tools>Internet Options>Use Default (you can change it later)<br />-did you search the MS support knowledge base?<br />if you recently upgraded to IE6, it might be related to article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305153 <br />(just things to try)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> last year I had a similar problem after I got a virus. I cleared the virus and installed McAffe 6.0. 3 weeks later after reformatting my drive due to similar problems I was reinstalling my programs when I installed the McAffe it started all over again. I now use Norton with no problems, my XP does not get along with McAffee 6.0

tylerin

Commander

Go to Microsoft and check out there updates to download

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My updates with microsoft are current. We used to have AOL and nortons on the machine and switched to comcast cable and the nortons started doing screwy things. It did so on both machines and at the time it was a 1 month free trial. Comcast cable came with a free 1 year of mcaffes and when I switched to that a lot of my problems went away. I noticed when I removed nortons through control panel remove/install programs that there is still a lot of symantac stuff left that did not delete. Could this be the problem that symantac is looking for updates?<br />Ebb I do not know what MCSE is and how do I check my routing tables. I am using a linksy 2.4 gig router(hardwired to XP Machine) with a 802.11b wireless usb adapter(on ME machine). I have the encription set for 64 K. When I hooked these up I used the wizard that came with both pieces of equipment. I dont see anything in the manual that describes this problem.

Xcusme

Commander

Just for grins, jump over to http://www.iolo.com/sm/ and get the free trial of System Mechanic Ver 4. The regular flavor is good, no need for the Professional version.<br /><br />Do a registry search for garbage left behind by Symantec ect. Look in the program menu's for Windows Startup and run down the list. Find out from the Path's listed ,what each program is running when you launch WinXp, disable, don't delete (for now) any entries that are not current.<br />Do a search for broken links and incomplete un-installs (from the menus provided)<br /><br />You'll be surprised at what garbage is lying around your registry and hard drive.<br /><br />Do you have file sharing turned on?? Here's a tip, go to network settings and look to see if File and Print sharing is bound to your TCP/IP protocol, it should NOT be. Install Netbeui protocol on both computers and make sure that Netbeui is the only protocol that is bound to File and Print sharing.<br /><br />Go to Grc.com (Shields Up) and do a scan for open ports on your machines.<br />Go to http://www.blackviper.com/ and do some reading about turning off various un-needed services for WinXP that make you vulnerable on the web....<br /><br />See if you can 'UP' the encryption to 128bit for the WEP on your wireless, turn off the wireless AP beacon, change the SSID to anything except the default that came with the AP, and implement MAC filtering within your AP's settings to allow only the one MAC address of your remote computer.....<br /><br />There, that should keep you busy for awhile........ :eek:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the advise Xcusme. I should be able to create some real damage with the stuff you suggested doing. I did go to shields up and the only port they found was I believe port 107 and that it was closed. All other ports were stealthy. I set encryption at 64K because the manual said there could be other problems encountered by going to 128K.<br /><br />If you guys dont here from me for a while I probably broke something. Thanks again

Xcusme

Commander

I'll take a guess here and figure you ment Port 113 (Ident), that's usually the port most folks have open along with ports 135-139.....which are not good.<br /><br />You can schlepp over to the settings of your router and go into the 'port forwarding' section. Make a new entry, call it Ident, enter 113 for the port address and put a check in both the TCP and UDP boxes. It then askes you to enter the IP address for a computer on your system to 'forward' this port TO, you'll enter the IP adress of a non-existant machine on your system, say 192.168.1.230 or 192.168.1.249. Since you don't have any real computers on your system with that IP address, the request to Port 113 will just go off into the wild blue yonder.....<br />Go back to GRC and re-test to check your handywork.<br /><br />BTW, you DID change the default password for your router didn't you??? I sure hope so!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I changed all the passwords when I installed the router and the adapter. Last night I changed the encryption to 128K and downloaded and ran system mechanic 4. On ME it found 128 conflicts and on the XP machine it found 58. I deleted about 48 invalid or broken shortcuts. That was the easy stuff. The stuff with the network will take a while. Not very familiar with that and will have to read the manual.<br /><br />Currently my router is only sharing the internet. I tried setting up network with my network places and it would not work. I think because of the router firewall and the computer firewalls that the file sharing is not working. More stuff to do.<br /><br />Thanks for your help. I hope to get the network stuff taken care of this weekend.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Just wanted to thank you Xcusme for the advise. The mechanic version 4 seemed to take care of the problem. We have been using the XP system now for two days and have not had any more problems.

Xcusme

Commander

Eurolarva ,<br /><br />Glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out. Use Sys. Mech. on a regular basis, especially the registry cleaning, to weed out the trash.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Just thought I would add to this post concerning Mechanic 4.0. Downloading and running this program took care of the problems I was experiencing on both my pcs. However a friend at work I recommended this program too had some severe problems with it. After running mechanic 4 he rebooted his XP system and was unable to startup. It attempted to start up in safe mode and would lock up. He took it to Best Buy to the geek squad and they are having problems restarting the system. They told him that mechanic 4 is a very dangerous program and do not recommend it. I just wanted to add this so that if others read this thread that they are aware that this program could cause problems.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point Eurolarva. Always have a current backup and startup disk before running any utilities especially if it does and registry modifications. If it unusual to not be able to bring up a unit in safe mode, but it does happen.