Anyone use engine additives anymore?

ezbtr

Commander
Just watching Motor trend and they mentioned Duralube , I remember Slick 50 that we all swore by 30(?) years ago, the only additive I now use is B12 Chemtool or Seafoam in intakes and/or tank :)

bigdee

Commander
On today's modern engine NO! Catalytic converters and emission sensors are at risk of damage. On an older clunker I might use an additive as a hail Mary. I do use sea foam and MMO to fog engines for storage.

robert graham

Admiral
I still use a polyether amine like Ringfree and a fuel stabilizer like Stabil in my older(1999) 2 stroke.....maybe modern 4 stroke outboards need a stabilizer like Stabil, depending on how you use your motor and how long the fuel lays in your tank between runnings....

harringtondav

Commander
I've never used a engine oil additive, just quality syn oil. I used to add Red Line fuel treatment to my boat's gas a few times a year. When I rebuilt the carb after 21 yrs (just cuz I thought it was time) the carb was pristine. I credit the top tier gas I use, not the Red Line. Good gas has all of the necessary additives. Most of my boat gas is BP.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't use anything but gas. I burn only non-ethanol in my boat and small engines. I put whatever is the dirt cheapest gas I can find in my motor vehicles. I've been doing it this way for many years with no fuel related problems.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I always thought that IF these Earth shattering new formulas were so great, that every engine manufacturer would be telling every vehicle owner to add then. And I don't see even one telling anyone to add things to their fuels. So many advertise the add gas millage you will get and the wear protection as well. But I don't see any of those claims verified whatsoever. So drive with the gas station offerings and do regular service and happy motoring, is my mantra. Same with ingenious spark plugs and fancy ignition add on's. If any of those things actually worked to give you 20% better millage, don't you think the manufacturers would be copying them to make their engines stand out as the best millage engines? A fool and their money are soon parted... Still true today!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with a direct injected engine in all the vehicles, every 10,000 miles I spray a PEA (Polyether Amine) into the intake tract to take care of intake valve deposits. not an additive, however normal maintenance on GDI engines.

beyond that, no.

briangcc

Commander
Back in the late 70's/early 80's my dad's Chevy Monza Spider (305 V8) developed an oil pan leak. I helped my grandfather pull the engine from the car and replace the oil pan. While the engine was out, he checked the inside of the valve covers...was like a mirror. My dad religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles and added STP oil treatment on every oil change. Saved the engine as there wasn't more than a qt of oil in the pan when the engine was pulled.

I remember when I bought my used '07 Tundra back in '10 and sitting in a "new" owners dinner at the dealership. The service manager was touting that with the new synthetics you could go 10k miles between oil changes. I asked him about the oil filter collapsing in the engine. Got a blank stare followed by "it doesn't happen". **I had just changed the oil and the filter was starting to collapse at 5k...Toyota filter.

Oil changes are done on both my vehicles in my signature, every 5k miles, with filter and STP oil additive. Runs better/smoother for me. Your mileage may vary.

bigdee

Commander
Back in the late 70's/early 80's my dad's Chevy Monza Spider (305 V8) developed an oil pan leak. I helped my grandfather pull the engine from the car and replace the oil pan. While the engine was out, he checked the inside of the valve covers...was like a mirror. My dad religiously changed the oil every 3000 miles and added STP oil treatment on every oil change. Saved the engine as there wasn't more than a qt of oil in the pan when the engine was pulled.

I remember when I bought my used '07 Tundra back in '10 and sitting in a "new" owners dinner at the dealership. The service manager was touting that with the new synthetics you could go 10k miles between oil changes. I asked him about the oil filter collapsing in the engine. Got a blank stare followed by "it doesn't happen". **I had just changed the oil and the filter was starting to collapse at 5k...Toyota filter.

Oil changes are done on both my vehicles in my signature, every 5k miles, with filter and STP oil additive. Runs better/smoother for me. Your mileage may vary.

STP is mostly a can of viscosity increaser. Increased oil viscosity has always been a snake oil trick used by shady used car dealers.