New AWD SUV for the gf

ezbtr

Commander
We're between the Ford Edge and the Honda Passport, new, blue, AWD , safe, reliable, seats 4-5 ,the gf encounters our nasty storms in a 2010 Honda Civic - in great shape at 146K, but she has reasons to want another(ex had a multitude of "sick" issues in car, he's been dead awhile.) Some of these I4 and V6 engines are crazy these days! Turbo's etal! Any comments have always been appreciated for 15(???) years :) Thanks guys

harringtondav

Commander
...don't know your price point, etc. Bought my first Ford in 44 yrs, Ranger 2.3 Ecoboost turbo. ...not what you're looking for, just an endorsement of Ford's turbos.. ...assume one is available on the Edge. My Ecoboost provides great mileage for the truck's GVWR, and really scoots when needed. Also tows like nothing is behind it.

...Then again, Hondas get a lot of kudos for customer ratings. But they like the CVT trannys. Not for me.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Kia Telluride.

10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. 5,000 pound towing capacity. AWD. 8 passenger seating capacity. SUV of the year.

Beautiful, luxurious vehicle at the same price point as the Ford and Honda.

That's the way I'd go. YMMV. :joyous:

82rude

Rear Admiral
The Kia/Hyundai corporate siblings are great value and very reliable.If I was forced to buy a new suv id opt for the 400 plus hp edge myself .My next ride will be a f150 or a mustang gt or possibly a new bronco a few years after they come out.3 years old is my personal preference for buying a vehicle .

ezbtr

Commander
Think we're going with the Subaru Forester, AWD 2.5 L 4 banger, great ratings, safety, seats 5

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Think we're going with the Subaru Forester, AWD 2.5 L 4 banger, great ratings, safety, seats 5

Excellent choice. I don’t have one but I know they are excellent vehicles. Reliable and dependable, well designed and made. Almost all reviews give them high marks. I know people who have them and they love their Foresters.

ezbtr

Commander
Excellent choice. I don’t have one but I know they are excellent vehicles. Reliable and dependable, well designed and made. Almost all reviews give them high marks. I know people who have them and they love their Foresters.

yup and safety rating excellent, my daughter has a 2003 (??) some head gasket repairs, but pretty good, and hell my last name is FORSTER , hahaha ! ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
yup and safety rating excellent, my daughter has a 2003 (??) some head gasket repairs, but pretty good, and hell my last name is FORSTER , hahaha ! ;)
LOL...head gasket repairs on a Subaru!! Doesn't everybody have head gasket issues on Subarus....also known as Suckaroos. I would never buy one.

ezbtr

Commander
LOL...head gasket repairs on a Subaru!! Doesn't everybody have head gasket issues on Subarus....also known as Suckaroos. I would never buy one.

pretty sure they fixed the head gasket issue awhile back

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have a buddy who had a Forester about a decade back. He really liked the car but it ended up going through 6 recalls. It was his wife's car and when she passed away in 2012, he sold it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
pretty sure they fixed the head gasket issue awhile back

They said they did but they haven't. My friend has one a few years old that took out his engine. Watch your coolant level and only use Subaru coolant that contains the stopleak in it. After my friend got his engine repaired, the transmission failed.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Subies have gotten alot of bad press lately and I would avoid them......... then again the wife will tell you that I am a toyota person - I have the highlander and the wife drives a rav

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Take a serious look at Mazda. They've come a long way in the last 5 years. The CX-5 (2 row) and CX-9 (3 row) are competitively priced, comfortable, and reliable. I have an AWD CX-5 GT and love it. This SUV handles like my E39 BMW ( pretty d**m great)!

ezbtr

Commander
Were gna hold off, she wants to keep helping family in the P.I. w/$, Honda only 150K well maint. miles nada wrong w/ it, - course this may change next week, LOL! :cool: