Dodge truck honks with door open when in reverse

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, my buddy bought a dodge 3/4 truck. Diesel. Maybe 07 or so. Thing is, when he is going to back up with the door open the darn horn honks. He works out of my shop on the side. I want to know what wire to snip so I dont have to listen to the dog every time the horn honks. I will not be able to train my buddy to shut his door, old and set in his ways...

alldodge

Staff member
want to know what wire to snip

The one attached to the horn :D

Have not heard of the trucks horn blowing with the door open, but things do change. See if the owners manual and find the user settings. There may be a way to change it. My 08 doesn't do it but I also have not looked to find out if it could be changed

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No manual but thanks. Guess I'll try and find one. Thing is it doesnt bother him...drives me nuts.

alldodge

Staff member
Just thought of something. If the truck was used for a commercial purpose it may have needed to have a backup alarm. Normal backup alarms go beep beep

If the PO didn't want to buy one, they may have run a extra wire off the backup lights to the under hood horn. Might have even put another horn under the bed.

harringtondav

Commander
I'd start by finding the door switch that controls the dome light and dash "door ajar" warning icon. ....guessing something is haywire in the body control module. Disconnect that switch and see if it works.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Both good ideas. It only blows the horn when you put it in gear with the door open.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Like when your backing up to a trailer and you adjust a few times while walking back to check the hitch... that's why he is gear shifting with the door open. And the dam horn beeps each time...then the dam dog starts barking...then I get a dam headache...lmao. it's rather humorous to some I suppose. It's always at 5 in the AM or 10 at night.

tbetty

Cadet
Free owners manual download, Its a safety feature. can't disable on the Admirals 2500 without cutting something.

tried to post link to free download load pdf link wont work. free downloadsareout there

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the question should be "why does he need the door open to back up?"

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
the question should be "why does he need the door open to back up?"

Well, you know, when your adjusting to back up to a hitch. I dont even climb all the way in the truck. You just stick a leg and an arm and 1/2 your butt cheek in to move the truck that inch or two you need to set the ball over the hitch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
back up until the coupler hits the draw bar, put truck in park, it rolls forward the 2", then drop the trailer

bigdee

Commander
Buckle your seat belt and that should stop the horn from honking.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Really simple, don’t open the door while backing up. I’ve hooked up boat trailers thousands of times and never opened the door once while backing up. If you really want to make it easy get a backup camera. Using my backup camera I can place the ball within an inch of where it needs to be.

southkogs

Staff member
I think I found the shop manual for my '04 3/4 Dodge online. Might be able to Google up the manual you need.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Free owners manual download, Its a safety feature. can't disable on the Admirals 2500 without cutting something.

tried to post link to free download load pdf link wont work. free downloadsareout there

This is the correct answer. My 03 did it but fortunately my 06 had a recall on it NOT working so I just never had fixed.

As to why, when i am backing up and i know I have about 6" left, i keep door open to gauge the distance traveled. My licence plate couldn't take much more abuse....

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It kinda fixed itself...radiator got hole so truck parked til there is time to fix it. We are both boat mechanics so it wont get fixed soon. :laugh: