Racing stripes

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The Admiral wants stripes on her new to her RT Durango . Thinking on a matte black dbl center stripe .
Anyone ever put a large vinyl stripe kit on before . I haven't ordered one yet . Just wondering how tuff a job it will be ..
Here is the subject .. And yes it's a blast to drive . :)
IMG_0836.JPG

southkogs

Staff member
Not so much hard as meticulous. Keeping the lines straight and keeping the vinyl from kinking is a little tricky.

I'm not very good at it, but can usually get the job done. I have one guy who worked for me who was pure genius at it ... going over places like your hood scoop and the windows are gonna' be a little tense. The good news is that outside of the loss of the graphic itself ... if you screw it up, you can pretty much peel it off and start over.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Never put a large one on, but I learned from someone who did to spritz a mild soap solution on the area, put the decal on and use a plastic squeegee to work the bubbles out or move the decal a bit. Try it on something else with some cheap dollar store decals first.

southkogs

Staff member
And watch a few YouTube videos too. The soap spritz helps, but so does prep work, a good burnishing tool and a few other tricks.

MRS

Commander
Call a paint and body shop see what they will do it for. If they do not get it right it is on them to make it right.
That is a nice looking vehicle looks fast.:car:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Call a paint and body shop see what they will do it for. If they do not get it right it is on them to make it right.
That is a nice looking vehicle looks fast.:car:

Its only the RT and not the SRT model . It does have a sport mode that is really fun to use .. It has the 5.7 Hemi .
It will pin ya back in your seat if you get on it for sure .. I ordered the stripe kit today .. We will see what the destruction's say on the installation . I am not going to cut out the hood recess .. I don't like how that looks as well as just straight though ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Should look like this . Or similar . I dont think the stripe Im getting is quite as wide and it will have the thin stripes on the outside of the wide stripe ..

MRS

Commander
Yes I have the 5.7 Hemi in my truck love it plenty of power for sure. Keep us updated with your project.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, have you thought about a water paint to try and see how it will work. Tape off the area you want and use water paint to see how it goes. Then if you really like that look, you can easily remove the water paint and apply the real stuff. Just a thought...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Didn’t think about that one Gm ...Been watching a few videos on installation..I think I can pull it off . A lot of bugs and critters flying around down here now so I will pull the boat out of the garage and do the installation in there with the AC going ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Didn’t think about that one Gm ...Been watching a few videos on installation..I think I can pull it off . A lot of bugs and critters flying around down here now so I will pull the boat out of the garage and do the installation in there with the AC going ..

Sam, we've all seen you work. And there is no way you can't pull this off... I mean you seem to be a master at everything. Not everyone has that ability... Post your progress and end results. I'd like to see it!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
.. I mean you seem to be a master at everything.

Ya know, I’ve been telling that to the Admiral for years but she just ain’t buying it .. :noidea:
Honestly , I do just ok at making things pretty kind of .. I really wish I was more of a mechanic though ..
Keeping things running well has never been my strong suit .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ya know, I’ve been telling that to the Admiral for years but she just ain’t buying it .. :noidea:
Honestly , I do just ok at making things pretty kind of .. I really wish I was more of a mechanic though ..
Keeping things running well has never been my strong suit .

I do know what you are saying. I searched and searched and still after all these decades haven't found my strong suit. I'm beginning to think I just don't have any... :eek:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Well known fact... Stripes will add at least 20 km/hr to the top speed. They also improve acceleration and produce a much nicer exhaust note.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Chris....