Knee replacement

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure you follow up with the physical therapy I am sure they will encourage you to do. While it isn't the most pleasant of things you'll do, it does help recovery time immensely. They will push you hard to get everything working properly again and it isn't going to be fun, but it is how you will recover the quickest. BTDT

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
PROTEIN will help you heal and do the PT even on your own when no one is watching ;)

MRS

Commander
PROTEIN will help you heal and do the PT even on your own when no one is watching ;)

Will do tired of this will do what I need to do to get back to some kind of normal.
Thanks again for the replies and support it really helps that's what I (Kneed) now.:joyous:

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had right knee trouble for over five years now.

I had it scoped and that did nothing.

I've inquired about a replacement but my insurance company refused. If I want to do it, I have to pay for all of it, out of pocket.

My father had both of his replaced at age 80 and it made the last six years of his life much more active and enjoyable.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
MRS, did you have the surgery? Mine is now scheduled for 8/4. Wondering if you have had it and have seen any improvement in your QOL?

MRS

Commander
Harritwo, No not yet had to change insurance cause they were going to raise it 500 more a month!
So going to new surgeon today hope yours go's well. Friend at work had it done said it is all good so far.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
MRS, I had my knee replaced 8/4. They did it using a robotic surgery. I am 2 weeks out today and doing physical therapy at home. I was sore for a few days but nothing like what i remember from 18 years ago when I had the first one done. I am slowly getting my range of motion back, I can walk without pain using a walker for now. I havent been able to do that in years.

Good Luck with your knee when you get it done, Please update as to how you are doing.

MRS

Commander
Harritwo, sounds like yours is working out good. I had to start the whole process over with the new insurance now going thru physical therapy at home also no office visits for therapy cause of the virus. I have a phone visit with the therapist the 28 of this month. So hopefully will get on to the next step for surgery.

PreachRick

Seaman
I'm 82 and have never been cut on, and I know the pain is rough, but I have heard to many horror stories. I lost my right hand in Korea, but a mash unit tied the tendance back together and sewed it back on. I have never had any problem with it, and was back on active duty inn 4 1/2 months. Don't ever let anyone tell you those guys in the mash units don't know what they are doing, they are hero's in my books!! Just had a Doctor tell me last month that my left shoulder needed a complete replacement. He said that in today's world there is nothing to it. I think I will just keep on taking CBD Oil, seems to help a lot with the pain factor. God Bless Y'all that have gone under the knife many times, your all a lot better man than me. 🤗

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Harritwo, sounds like yours is working out good. I had to start the whole process over with the new insurance now going thru physical therapy at home also no office visits for therapy cause of the virus. I have a phone visit with the therapist the 28 of this month. So hopefully will get on to the next step for surgery.

Hey MRS, just wondering how the knee thing is going? I wouldn't hesitate if I ever find I need any such procedure. I'm just thankful we live in a time when they can actually do these things. Imagine all the pain and suffering people went thru years ago,that we don't need to!

MRS

Commander
KJM, still waiting for the insurance to see what they want to do, they keep me in Therapy I guess they hope it will fix itself! Been to meetings therapy everything but fix the knee. Will just have to keep playing the game till it gets fixed.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Ok not sure where to place this but I can hardly walk with out some real good pain, went golfing today and wow I am done.
Has any one here had a total knee replacement and if you did how did it work out. I am 63 years young and had surgery on the right knee 5 or so years ago but now blow out the left knee real good surgeon did say I was a good candidate for full replacement. But I am real nervous about somebody cutting out my knee and putting metal place of my bones!
Any how really does scare me putting my body parts in to somebody else's hands.

I didn't read the other posts.

I just came across this by accident. I had my right knee done at 55 years old. It was 1st injured on August 12th 1978, can't forget that day. Had the MCL repaired and played 2 more years before I tore the ACL and PCL. Finally after around 9 surgeries on that knee I had it replaced 32 years after the 1st injury. My left knee needs to be done, I can't golf at all now. I went from 80 rounds in 2017 to one in 2018,19 and 20 and that's a scramble golf tourney fund raiser I run every Labour Day Saturday.* I can't even get in and out of the boat easily. I'm 66, not a young 66 either, look great on the outside and rotten to the core inside. I'm loaded with arthritis head to toe and it sucks. I don't know what's worse now the hydro morphone I take by the fist full or the pain. I call post surgical therapy homework. I don't know if I can do the post op therapy and recovery is only as good as the work (homework) one puts into it.
If you think you can handle the recovery go for it, it does alleviate some pain and increases mobility. Don't expect miracles.

* We have 72 golfers every year and 90 guests this year for the food scarf after golf. We all have property or have friends along the north shore of central Lake Erie. We raised $8235.00 this year that went to our county Food Bank.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
KJM, still waiting for the insurance to see what they want to do, they keep me in Therapy I guess they hope it will fix itself! Been to meetings therapy everything but fix the knee.

I for the life of me can not remember the name of a NFL quarterback that rehabbed a torn ACL without the surgery. Didn't exactly heal itself but did without the knife and that is amazing to me.