Knee replacement

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'll stick an alternative in here. I'm 67 and was advised by a VA orthopedic surgeon to have both knees replaced over 9 years ago. I declined. Hey, ortho surgeons always recommend surgery because that's what they do. ;)

I declined because... I was telling my neighbor about the surgery idea and he told me about SynVisc, which is an injection formula that goes into the knee and pumps it up and helps it work better.

There are 2 variants... SynVisc 3 which involves 3 smaller injections over a short period of time. And SynVisc 1, which is a single injection.

I chose SynVisc 1 and couldn't be happier. The injections last "about 6 months" and can be repeated. In my case, I get 8 to 10 months of pain free usage between injections. I had my last injections nearly a year ago but can't get it done now due to covid 19 interfering with medical availability. But even so, my knees are still doing quite well.

Good stuff! Beats the heck out of surgery. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I do realize what you are saying about surgeries and surgeons. However, when I had my hip pain, the surgeon stated that yes I could get a replacement, but that was totally my idea. So think about it, and when you are ready, you make that decision. My pain was so bad by that time, I instantly said let's schedule it now! And if only knew how scared I am about hospitals and needles, you probably would have though someone took over my body for such a decision... Pain will make you do things you would otherwise avoid!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Syn-vic is useless when you have bone on bone.I was so bad I thought about blowing a hole in my knee to force them to replace them.I could not afford to go to America and pay either at that time.How much does it cost anyways?When my surgeon asked me what my quality of life was like on the 1 to 10 scale and I said -7 I was in lickty split.15 years of pure hell and if it wasn't for the hundreds of percs I took a month I might of blown my brains out it was that bad.Now the damn osteo is after my lower back!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Syn-vic is useless when you have bone on bone.I was so bad I thought about blowing a hole in my knee to force them to replace them.I could not afford to go to America and pay either at that time.How much does it cost anyways?When my surgeon asked me what my quality of life was like on the 1 to 10 scale and I said -7 I was in lickty split.15 years of pure hell and if it wasn't for the hundreds of percs I took a month I might of blown my brains out it was that bad.Now the damn osteo is after my lower back!

Sorry to hear that SynVisc didn't work for you. I had bone on bone too and it worked great for me.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Just me venting ,syn-vic probably works for some people just not me.I had 8 or so knee ops so im a little touchy when it comes to knee surgery talk .Its all over now thanks to a compassionate doc instead of those other quacks that only thought of age (too young) .Both knees were clearly totally destroyed yet continue on fella your too young for knee replacement they said.17 years and my knee rep is still good to go.If your a flyer tell the tsa agents about the knee cause it will set off the machine like the 4 th ,lol.Mine has cobalt and titanium in there along with the plastic .Im waiting for disc replacement to become common now.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I had tried the sun-vis and i was bone on bone It gave relief until the novacaine wore off but no more than a few hours.

The ortho surgeon I had was great, My wife worked for him and he took care of me. The physical therapy they started right out of surgery, had me on a machine that worked my leg in a bicycle motion for hours and then it was up and walking, squating, etc. and i am extremely pleased with it. The only reason I havent had my second knee done is I havent been able to get cardiac clearance.

Yes you do take heavy antibiotics anytime you are having an invasive procedure done, teeth cleaning, included.

Highly recommend it if you are a candidate and have tried the alternatives first.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I had both of mine done about 9-10 years ago Honestly there are days I swear at them but overall I am in less pain then I was prior to surgery.

Just inquire to the surgeon how long is the replacement going to last? I have been offered replacements for the ones I have now but turned them down.

Good luck!

MRS

Commander
Thank you both I mean all for the replies waiting to talk to surgeon if I can ever get in to the doctors. Will see what my options are then but I do have to do something soon.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have complete range of motion, I can not kneel (way too much pain), My recovery was actually fairly quick I had one done in May and then one in July. I actually "over healed" and they both had to be scoped because scar tissue formed in the artificial joints.

Yes I was bone on bone for years ...........

MRS

Commander
JAS, Thanks just got to get in to the doc's office and get this thing rolling.

astro150

Cadet
I would not let a surgery happy doc cut on my knee until I had exhausted all other options.

briangcc

Commander
My mom had her knee replaced last year. Rehab is the key and for all that is holy...take the darn painkillers they give you! I had to tell my mom this as I had ACL replacement and the rehab is similar....so passing it along.

My mom walks fine now and until coronavirus struck was scheduled to have her other knee replaced this year. She's holding off a couple years now for personal reasons...and knee surgery recovery in snow/ice season don't mix.

MRS

Commander
Yes I did look into that stem stuff lots of money and a 50 50 chance it works I have a appointment this Tuesday I will see what happens with my knee. Thanks once again to all that did reply just want to walk normal again with out the pain or as much pain.

MRS

Commander
June 16 9:00 going to the surgeons office! Have never been so happy to be going to a doctors office!