Knee replacement

MRS

Commander
Ok not sure where to place this but I can hardly walk with out some real good pain, went golfing today and wow I am done.
Has any one here had a total knee replacement and if you did how did it work out. I am 63 years young and had surgery on the right knee 5 or so years ago but now blow out the left knee real good surgeon did say I was a good candidate for full replacement. But I am real nervous about somebody cutting out my knee and putting metal place of my bones!
Any how really does scare me putting my body parts in to somebody else's hands.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My wife had one replaced, followed the exercises they gave her. Took awhile to get back to normal, and there may be some numbness that never goes away. But pain free. My boss had both done and is still climbing on and around boats at the marina like nothing is different.

MRS

Commander
Grub, Thanks the pain free would be wonderful I just do not think I can take any more pain gives me a major headache and I do not say anything every body just thinks I being a grumpy old Idiot.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I haven’t had mine replaced but most all my friends are 60 plus and many many have had knee replacements. Every single one of them had a positive experience and results with the exception of one. They are all quite happy and satisfied. Part of the key to success is following doctor’s instructions, exercising and rehabbing. There is one that a year later is having some difficulties and may have to have the surgery redone. He is the exception. His wife had both knees done and is doing great. If I was having knee problems I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute to have knee replacement.

harringtondav

Commander
I haven't had the experience, but I know several who have. 59-79 yrs old. Per the above, rehab is key. All said it was worth the effort. You probably won't have a knee like a 30 year old's, but you will be much happier than with you current worn out knee.

Orthopedic surgery has advanced to near miracle levels.

ezbtr

Commander
do it. The tchnology and recovery times are super short these days, I been torn up a few times ;)

MRS

Commander
Thanks for the replies makes me feel a little better about surgery. Now have to wait till I can get back into the doctor office still hard to do here with this pandemic stuff going on. Thanks again.

robert graham

Admiral
Find an experienced surgeon who has a good reputation for success....they use a "robotic" surgical procedure now that used lazers or similar to align the knee joints perfectly so they are perfectly in alignment and leads to a much better success rate going forward....

MRS

Commander
Yes that is what I want but I have to go thru all the referral stuff just to get the MRI. I did the x ray and blood test stuff but I need the MRI to show the damage. Then they will give me the referral for the surgeon that did the surgery on my other knee last time. But since this pandemic stuff started cannot get in to the doctors office here. I actually started the process in october 2019 and now pandemic is here. Thanks for the reply..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Had both knees replaced before I was 50.First at 45 !62 in a few days and no regrets.Osteoarthiritus is a terrible thing to have young.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My brother had 1 of his knees replaced when he was about 75 yrs old. He had a limp afterward, because his other knee needed to be replaced too. A yr later he had the other knee done and the limp was gone. He is pain free, boats, hunts and hike around his farm. He dived into physical therapy hard to get done with it.

MRS

Commander
Thanks for all the information feeling good about seeing the surgeon will take his advice and get this fixed the right or best way for me. Really appreciate all the replies.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Had my left one done over 12 years ago, no pain in the knee today, only issue I have is i cant support weight on my knee. (Crawling on hands and knees) Getting ready to do my right one in the next year or so. My Dad had both his done, pain free in the knees today. Mom-in -law had both hers done, same thing. Pain free today.

MRS

Commander
Thank you I would love pain free you all have made me feel way better about this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
While I can't vouch for knee replacement, I can easily talk about hip replacement. First make sure you select the best replacement option offered. I got ceramic on ceramic which was and still is the cutting edge type. Don't know if that is the same for knees though. I has physical therapy instantly after the surgery. And I mean with in an hour after. I was tired, of course, and they mad me get up and walk with two assistance an hour after surgery. All I wanted to do was go to sleep. And the physical therapy lasted a month or longer too. And yes it did hurt doing the therapy. Not going to minimize it. But I can tell you, once I got back to "normal" I haven't had any issues since then. I was told no more tennis or running again though. So hope that give you a more in-depth scenario. Pain is a great motivator for sure... JMHO

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would also review the rate of post-op infections for the place doing the procedure. Infections following a joint replacement are often really hard to treat, so making sure the procedure is done someplace with a good record of non-complications is worthwhile.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would also review the rate of post-op infections for the place doing the procedure. Infections following a joint replacement are often really hard to treat, so making sure the procedure is done someplace with a good record of non-complications is worthwhile.

Oh yes, that does bring up another issue. Any time I get my teeth cleaned )twice a year), I have to pre-medicate with heavy doses of antibiotics (2000 mg). And goes on forever too. And that is because if you do get infectious bacteria in your system, it will usually go to the replaced area to infect first. So you will be required to pre-medicate forever after the knee replacement. But really, the lack of pain is so nice I don't have a problem pre-medicating.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I have to agree with jas. My wife checked out the surgeons who did the replacements, the one she had do it had the best reviews. The other two had issues with their patients.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Really important to check out the doc as Grub says, but equally important to check the infection rates of the facility where the procedure will be done. Some docs have admitting rights at more than one hospital/surgery clinic, so you really need to make sure the facility itself is not known for high infection rates.