2013 Toyota Camry AC tech help needed.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
2013 Toyota camry 4cyl standard ac not auto climate control

wont cool when not moving even if high idle.

checked all fuses. Is there a relay or thermostat control somewhere? Location? Maybe a box with magic smoke in it?

Can I test for 12v at fan? Which of the two fans is it? Driver side or passenger side?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the compressor clutch kicking in?

If your Toyota is like mine, under the hood is a relay/fuse box and the cover says what relays and fuses are used for. Same for the fuse box inside the car.

Try all the fan speeds on the fan switch, maybe one of the switch positions croaked.

Got freon? Maybe it's low.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Check to make sure the compressor clutch is kicking in. Had to replace my daughters last summer

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys. Already checked those. I am down to the condenser fan or whatever tells it to turn on. I just cannot find any place online that tells me what activates the fan. Relays appear to be non existent, even my parts guy cant find an AC specific relay. I am wondering if there isnt a thermostat switch somewhere. I am going to check for voltage at fan this AM, was going to do it last night but I fell asleep. Apparently mutton snapper is a knockout pill for me.

bigdee

Commander
I think your on the right path. Condenser fan should be running at idle if coolant temperature is normal. If you don't have 12v at fan look at coolant temperature with a infrared gun then use a OBD scanner see what temperature the computer is seeing.

foodfisher

Captain
Not Toy but when my ac wouldn't cool, it turned out to be a plugged up filter inside a coolant hose.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, I jumped 12v to the fans. They worked. A local shop that knows more than I is going to diagnose for $50. Will see if it's the fan control module. I dont want to take a $400 guess.

harringtondav

Commander
Jake, I missed your response whether the compressor clutch is engaging. Is it? Or is the problem in the evaporator/heat box fan not turning on? Does the fan work in heat mode? Does the floor/dash/defrost selector work?

Many relays went obsolete with the introduction of body control modules. This module reads the sensor/switch inputs and delivers the needed 12V.

My pal gave/sold his 2006 Rav 4 to his son. Air distribution failed. The kid was in over his head and started tearing it apart, and made things worse. Root cause still unknown, but his pop and I suspected a bad shutter door actuator, or BCM output to the box.

This is a DIYers worst nightmare, but I suspect your dealer would be glad to hook up your Camry to their analyzer and trace down the issue.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Jake, I missed your response whether the compressor clutch is engaging. Is it? Or is the problem in the evaporator/heat box fan not turning on? Does the fan work in heat mode? Does the floor/dash/defrost selector work?

Many relays went obsolete with the introduction of body control modules. This module reads the sensor/switch inputs and delivers the needed 12V.

My pal gave/sold his 2006 Rav 4 to his son. Air distribution failed. The kid was in over his head and started tearing it apart, and made things worse. Root cause still unknown, but his pop and I suspected a bad shutter door actuator, or BCM output to the box.

This is a DIYers worst nightmare, but I suspect your dealer would be glad to hook up your Camry to their analyzer and trace down the issue.

Yeah, everything works, it's just the two electric fans for the radiator and condenser core that wont turn on. I jumped 12v to them and they work. Just not on their own. I suspect scott d nailed it with the fan control module. I assume that's what the $50 diagnosis at the local shop will be. I am in fla waiting out the virus and do t have my scan tool or really any tools with me. Basic socket set and hand tools and a $10dvom.

this whole thing is really a boredom exercise and trying to appease the admiral...the ac works when we are moving, the car doesn't overheat as long as we dont idle it in a parking lot or traffic jam for more than 20mins. I think she just wanted me in the driveway and not by the pool because I cant seem to stop complaining about our local politician back home. I went to school with her and know what a moron she is. So, it's more a pointless honey-do thing to keep me out of her hair.

harringtondav

Commander
this whole thing is really a boredom exercise and trying to appease the admiral...the ac works when we are moving, the car doesn't overheat as long as we dont idle it in a parking lot or traffic jam for more than 20mins. I think she just wanted me in the driveway and not by the pool because I cant seem to stop complaining about our local politician back home. I went to school with her and know what a moron she is. So, it's more a pointless honey-do thing to keep me out of her hair.

Got it. Well, you could fool her into thinking you did some good by putting a 'permanent' jumper to the fan motor(s). Throw in a toggle switch and just pop the hood to check the oil before and after each hot trip. Or get really crafty and jump from the headlight relay (if it exists) and run the fans from the cockpit. ....I did this sort of thing often when I was young and poor. ....larger capacity fuse may be needed.

Also appreciate the honey-do aspects. My admiral is stuck in AZ. ...she passed on the flight home and will be driving home with a sis in three more weeks. So I get an extended vaca from the to-do list.

I considered buying Ford's extended service plan for my new Ranger, mainly for the numerous pesky, pricey modules. Problem is most modules and controllers seem to puke just after any warranty expires.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had the same issue on my stepsons 89 Cadillac , the module went out and it wouldn't kick on the fans . Now your 2013 is hardly a beater like that old cadilac , but I just simply wired in a relay and toggle switch from the cab so that he can activate the fans manually. Not ideal but it woks plus that control module doesnt even exist anymore outside of a junkyard.

the only time its needed is in the summer idling at a red light or something , other than he doesnt need to use it ever.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I wish it was an 89 Cadillac...the camry is a bit small, I consider it a glorified roller skate with about the same amount of power. I keep hoping a tree will fall on it while parked and empty. It's got 100k on it now and we cant keep a bumper cover on it due to the low clearance and us living in rural Mi snow belt. 1 pothole and 6 in heavy snow = cracked bumper cover. $900 painted and installed. I think we are on #5 and this one is cracked. I gave up and stitched it up with zip ties. I'll fix it right before I sell it.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Fan control module/relay. Would have needed a wiring schematic to figure it out and a seeing eye dog with four mirrors to find it.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The shop I took it to did. They said they almost sent it to the dealer. Made my fumbling with it easier to take. They work on these every day and almost gave up.