06 Mustang check engine light

ezbtr

Commander
just noticed 2 days ago, 4.6 V8, runs fine, hear 6 beeps when turning key, just had a vehicle safety check 1.5 weeks ago, all passed, kinda seems to smell rich at times when starting in garage,(before chk engine light appeared) we"re at freezing temps off and on here in central Texas, havent hooked up my scan tool (got with CAI, 3 ish years ago), put new battery in 2-3 weeks ago, maybe 02 sensor??

fishrdan

Admiral
I picked up a cheap Foseal $10 bluetooth Android OBDII scanner. Thought it was going to be $10 wasted, but well wroth $10 for what ti does. Kind of a pain finding the correct app to run if off my phone, but works great after that. My son has a 03 Mustang GT and we have used it to pull and clear codes, check emission monitors, etc. It's not as good as a dedicated scan tool, but great for $10.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T5G53Z...olid=3UWYA99EKRG59&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

tpenfield

Staff member
Let the code that you get from the scan tool be your guide.

robert graham

Admiral
Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone, NAPA, Advanced Auto will be happy to plug in their scanner to your car and help you in the right direction of your problem....may be something very easy/simple/cheap, or something like a catalytic converter needing replacement or an oxygen sensor in exhaust system, etc., etc......No real need to go out and buy your own scanner unless you just want to own one.....

ezbtr

Commander
Tried to get on here last few days and was given hacked site msg (something like that), anyway, plugged in my scanner (been freezing and light snow here, then 80 degree day!) and was a P0456/Evap system error, usually a bad fuel cap, think I got this a few years ago, swapped back to orig non locking cap, cleared err msg 2-3 days ago and all good so far :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you had an emissions test a couple of weeks ago, the cap should have been tested. Maybe it wasn't on tight. Need at least 3 clicks

ezbtr

Commander
If you had an emissions test a couple of weeks ago, the cap should have been tested. Maybe it wasn't on tight. Need at least 3 clicks

no emissions here in TX, visual on equip only , is a minor evap issue, forgot it popped up maybe 3.5 yrs ago, all seems good now ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's why I said "If". You don't live in one of the Texas 15 counties requiring E-Testing.