Subaru 2.0L turbo boxer?

harringtondav

Commander
My son closes on a Subaru Base WRX in two days. 2.0L turbo with impressive torque and hp specs. I'm wondering if Subaru slapped turbo manifolds on their N/A boxer, or upped the engine's design for the higher loads. It seems a boxer engine's lower end should be more robust than an in line or V, since con rod forces work against each other, not just the main bearings.

I coached him as best a I could on negotiating. I even found a dealer 200 mi away that would deliver his car for $600 less than he settled for in Des Moines. He's part of the instant gratification generation, and apparently makes too much money, so he bit on their "best offer". He had shell out an extra $500 to replace Subaru's performance tires for all season tires. Those P235/​45WR17 Summer Performance tires are worthless in Iowa winters. His dealer postponed two test drives due to road conditions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, there is no such thing as all season tires. there are tires that compromise wet traction, ice traction and dry traction equally. I would recommend a second set of wheels and a true winter-only set of winter tires. i have had best luck with Dunlop graspic DS1's and Hakk Qs on my AWD vehicles, blizzaks are over-rated BS tires.

regarding the engine, the 2.0 is a different design than the 2.5 NA motors, other than they share the same boxer configuration

when you go to service the clutch, its easiest to drop the whole drive-train out of the bottom of the vehicle than it is to try to pull the motor out from above.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
All Season = no season ............. Graspics hard to find here but blizzaks on both our 4wd cars. I probably would have opted for real snow tires on seperate wheels and save the performance set