Power tool motor lubrication??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just picked up an old 2nd hand rotary Polishing/sanding wheel after my 30 year old Wen polisher crapped out. Turned out it needed new brushes which were impossible to find and mount.This older craftsman has been sitting in garage for a number of years .I havnt tried it out yoet but I plugged it in and pulled the trigger for several seconds to make sure it worked.The motor didnt sound perfectly smooth so I was wondering if I should give it a bath of lube spray and let it sit for a while before I attempt to use it.Anyone lube their power tools??Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on the type of bearing. if the bearings are sealed, you may have an issue. if the bearings are open frame, they may be rusty. same goes with if they are sleeve bearings (bushings)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on what is making the noise. Armature or drive gears

Armature bearings are either sealed or bushed. 3:1 oil works well on bushings.

If the bearings are sealed, remove, measure and use a bearing catalog to find a part number for a replacement

Gear boxes are typically lubricated with moly grease

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You might be able the use the model number at the Sear parts site and look at the parts diagrams to see what bearing/bushings are used before tearing it apart to grease 'er up.

Your old polisher can't be older than Ted Williams outboards and they still have the diagrams and some parts for them.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Gave it a synthetic spray libe bath and let some run down the shaft.Let it sit for a few days and see what that does.Dont think I want to disassemble anything since I really stink at putting things back together..lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
In my experience three in one oil is not the correct lube. I've used it for years, it would be fine for awhile, then varnish up and get noisy, or stiff. Nowadays I use gun oil, or sewing machine oil on all bushings or bearings in electric motors, such as fans, drills and sanders, car blower motors. They keep running smooth and quiet so it does work. Usually you see fans in the trash as they run slow so people toss them. I lost count of how many I saved over the years.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In my experience three in one oil is not the correct lube. I've used it for years, it would be fine for awhile, then varnish up and get noisy, or stiff.

Note sure why you would use gun oil over an application specific oil

https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

3-IN-ONE® Motor Oil is a SAE 20 special blend of high-grade oils engineered for 1/4 HP motors or larger. This long-lasting formula is great as an electric motor oil and lubricant, and can also be used to maintain sewing machines fans, drills, lawn tools, and more.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I want to add a note that may or may not be relevant...not necessarily for modern hand held motors but motors in general.

when you have a motor that has roller bearings many times there a hole for oil or a zirk. Most roller bearings are designed to work with very little grease~25% of the volume of the open area in side the bearing. Over lubrication leads to excess heat which expands things and shortens the life.

tldr: some lube good, too much not so much.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Note sure why you would use gun oil over an application specific oil

https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

3-IN-ONE® Motor Oil is a SAE 20 special blend of high-grade oils engineered for 1/4 HP motors or larger. This long-lasting formula is great as an electric motor oil and lubricant, and can also be used to maintain sewing machines fans, drills, lawn tools, and more.

Yeah, I get that, but it gets stiff for me. I've had zero issues with gun oil. Larger motors are probably fine with 3-1 smaller ones is what I use it on for the most part.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
It seemed to like the synthetic lube bath.all good sounds smoother.Now I have to find a threaded stud to screw into the side for the right angle handle that is missing