Snow blower Chute tip

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have always lubed the chute and auger chamber with WD40 or similar before operating to keep the snow and ice from building up and thwarting performance.I have found and perfected the lube process by spraying cooking spray like Pam instead of spray lube.Make sure you are spraying it on a cold and dry chute.The cold surfaces will allow the cooking spray to build up and remain in place the entire time you are snow blowing.This made a HUGE difference on my snowblower.Hope this helps someone and post back if it does.Charlie

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I get mine from the dollar store. Alot cheaper, and does the same thing. I also use it on my weedwhacker cutting head before whacking, when done, hose off and put away. Makes it easy to keep clean. One other place I use it is in my woodshop. Spray the blades when done for the day, next time you use them make a cut or two, shut down and have a look at the blade, pitch is gone

mfelthousen

Seaman
Repainting the inside of the chute during the off-season makes a big difference also. I have an Ariens that is closing in on 50 years old and have slowly been refurbishing it- I had tried various sprays (Pam was best), but always had issues with clogging until I finally painted everything. If your auger assembly looks anything like the pic below, it's worth painting.

One downside to using Pam is it will come out of the chute when the weather warms up. If you build it up while cold, it's probably a good idea to rest the auger assembly in something like an oil leak tray or really large boot tray to catch everything that comes out of it when it warms up. It is a pain to get that stuff out of a garage floor.

Also, it seems obvious, but keeping RPM up is also something that people tend to overlook.

Attachments

• photo324308.jpg
    photo324308.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324309.jpg
    photo324309.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I only deal with two stage, I'm sure it'll work on any blower. All we are trying to accomplish is keeping the snow from sticking, and make it easier to clean up. I've also seen where people spray the underside of the mower deck to keep it clean. Haven't done that as most mower decks lose their paint rather quickly. And the cheap decks nowadays usually Crack and wear out before the motor dies.

Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
[QUOTE

One downside to using Pam is it will come out of the chute when the weather warms up. If you build it up while cold, it's probably a good idea to rest the auger assembly in something like an oil leak tray or really large boot tray to catch everything that comes out of it when it warms up. It is a pain to get that stuff out of a garage floor.
[/QUOTE]

Just about all of the Pam is gone by the time you are done blowing the snow.Not much left on the chamber at all.I use a cargo tray from my Jeep as a catch pan when I bring the blower back inside.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
A chunk of cardboard works well also. Even if it gets wet, it dries after a bit, but absorbs the oil.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
My snowblower (single stage) is an attachment to my DR 15 HP brushcutter. I really have not had a jam up in the chute and I just keep it clean. When I was a road foreman we found that regardless of what was sprayed or applied to the equipment it would wear off rapidly so just clean was the easiest solution. The snow is so abrasive that it will wear off paint and rust.

matt167

Captain
I bought a new, Ariens Sno Tek 24E a few years ago ( Ariens without a light, and a Honda clone motor ) which can shoot any kind of snow at least 10' without clogging ( light fluffy stuff, it's a 50' cannon ).. But then a little over a year ago, I got a Massey Ferguson GC1710 TLB, and I really have not used the walk behind blower