Windows 7 Orphaned by Microsoft

sam am I

Commander
How does one access the bios when it doesn't power up?

Yeah, that's a bit of a pickle eh...Start pulling devices (HDD/SSD's, any slotted VID/Sound cards, swap out uPC and RAM) one by one? If your down to just a MB and the power supply is still shutting off and you've tried another PS, RAM and uPC, guess MB is toast.

Probably then a dang $0.01 shorted out cap somewhere's on the MB causing the PS to fold back (protected shutdown) due to over current.

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
My PC just bit the dust. The CPU fan spins for about a Second then shuts down, Tried a different Power Supply, no change. Mother board is probably pooched. Guess its down to the Flea Markets to if there are any Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3s

short the CMOS battery jumper or remove it to clear the bios. Try again. If that does not work, there are a ton of Chinese remanufactured/ kind of new motherboards you can get that will work with your processor/ ram. Some of them are pretty nifty and have M.2 NVME enabled with native slots. They cost about $60

sam am I

Commander
I just built up off 3 of these MB's a few years back (already outdated) for work, they all are running M.2 SSD's and i7's, nice stable and fast machines for the price cept I had to ruin 2 of them with Win 10 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
Bye-bye Microsoft

Attachments

• photo324614.jpg
    photo324614.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324615.jpg
    photo324615.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I tried Linux about 15 yrs ago, I didn't like it. I have had better luck with Hankentosh, but really hate most of it. I guess I will just install Win 7 on the Hack, and maybe buy the parts needed to build a newer Hack

bigdee

Commander
I tried Linux about 15 yrs ago, I didn't like it. I have had better luck with Hankentosh, but really hate most of it. I guess I will just install Win 7 on the Hack, and maybe buy the parts needed to build a newer Hack

15 years was a long time ago. Take a look at some of the distros that are available.....Ubuntu is very Windows like. Linux mint is a good choice. There are distros that have the look of XP. I have not used MS in over 15 years except at work but when I was home it was linux which,by the way, was compatible with my work projects. Spreadsheets, slide presentations,word docs and photo editing were all done on open office or Libre suite and saved as a MS file. Heck, even macros on the spreadsheets would function on MS. It is free to download AND RUN on a thumbdrive, You do not need to change a thing on your computer to try it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I do a lot of Photo Editing, so I do make a lot of Use of Photoshop, which is offered on both Windows and Mac OS, Does Linux or Ubunta(first time I ever heard of it was yesterday, on a Youtube Video), any Extensive Photo Editing software?

southkogs

Staff member
Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu. It's "klunkier" than Photoshop, but seems to do a decent job.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu. It's "klunkier" than Photoshop, but seems to do a decent job.

Sounds like something from Pulp Fiction

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu.
Linux is a distribution, ie Microsoft.
Ubuntu is the operating system ie Windows 10

We switched from Red Hat to Ubuntu 5 to 6 years ago

bigdee

Commander

GIMP is a Linux based open source software (free) and is included in the Ubuntu distro. Gimp has been used by forensic experts to reconstruct facial features on decomposed corpses, it is a powerful photo editor but requires a learning curve.

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds like something from Pulp Fiction
LOL ... yeah, like naming your software pack "Big Al" or "Capone."

No seriously, it's a decent piece. There are a handful of contenders out there on the market. Photoshop is pretty much the industry standard, and I've heard there are ways to make it run on OS outside of Windows and Mac. But I don't know much about hacking through that stuff. You can always run a virtual machine for Photoshop from another OS.

Of the other contenders out there, Affinity is my favorite but it's strictly a Mac program. GIMP comes in third. It's a goofy interface, but when you get the groove it seems pretty capable for raster work.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GIMP is run on a computer, so it's an acronym. GNU Image Manipulation Program. Now you know. :D

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I went and bought a new MB, Processor, Memory, Power Supply, and one of those new NvMe HDs. But before I put it together I pulled the Drives out of the Pooched Computer (i7 4770k)and yanked the Drives out of the Hack and put the WIn7 drives into the i7 3770. After it refusing to boot properly, I try Safe Mode, and it booted up, Using the motherboard CD, I replaced the Chipset Drivers and some others, and having to reactivate it, I have my old Win 7 PC back, a wee bit slower. Now to go and get a refund on the New Parts

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Win 10 has many forms of monitoring/reporting software, continuously sending usage reports to Microsoft, so I find it very intrusive, too intrusive for my liking.
The company that I retired form did ethernet security hardware. Trust me, if we felt Windows 10 was intrusive enough to be an issue, we wouldn't use it.