Windows 7 Orphaned by Microsoft

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Now that MS has severed support for Windows 7. who here is still running the old 'Easy to access features' OS? I despised Win 8 and the 4 times I've trialed 10, I have had nothing but Headaches and Contempt for it. UI is almost as bad as 8, and difficult to get to a complete Control Panel.
Might have to build a Hackentosh, maybe not, Apples OS is as Privacy Intrusive as Win 10

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My W10 looks and acts just like W7. Of course it isn't out of the box W10.

matt167

Captain
I fought and fought to keep Windows 7. But in the end, my windows 7 computer ( Dell Precision T3500 ) was 10 years old and although still fast enough for modern tasks, I built an AMD Ryzen 3600 system for pennies when the T3500 developed some minor issues, and they are only Win 10 compatible... I have not really found an issue that I thought I would have

alldodge

Staff member
Still have 2 Win7, the main is house computer and for the most part air-gapped, just runs house hold stuff and no need to connect

The other is in the shop, and there is nothing on it that is not on my laptop Win10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GA_Boater till have a Windows XP station at home for emails, etc. Still running Win 7. Hey @ ga_boater, other than the classic shell interface, what else did you do to the "hello-kitty-developed-by-12-year-old-girls Windows 10"?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Whatever I could find to look like W7. My desktop looks like W7 and yeah, Classic Shell. I even have W7 gadgets, games, Solitare, FreeCell and the like.

When W8/10 came out (never ran 8) I looked at it and thought why does my W10 looks like a freakin' smartphone after the free upgrade.

When W8/10 came out the WWW was filled throwback tips and stuff to look like W7. Behind the scenes it's W10, but I don't have to look at the Hello Kitty styled junk. Have no idea anymore what all I did, it was too long ago. I'm on W10 Pro and it allows me to do more than basic W10 as all Pro Windows always did.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It's pretty much all been downhill since IBM stopped selling OS/2. I've used pretty much every version of Windows, at least since Win95, and while I was very fond of XP, Win10 is really not that bad. It takes a bit of effort to learn, but it's not as hard as figuring out how to route the shift cable of an Alpha One through a V8 when you forgot to leave a tracer wire...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I tried OS2 but didn't care for it. I ran 5 of the Beta versions of Win 95 from March 95 till a couple of months after the Retail version was released. I find Win 10 far too Invasive regarding Privacy, and even after you disable a lot of nosy settings, they get turned back on again when the Forced Updates install. Plus it looks Ugly and Boxy, XP was about the best looking UI Windows ever had. 95 had that horrible Teal colour. Even getting a Hackentosh to run correctly is easier than reigning in Win 10

fishrdan

Admiral
I've been working heavily with Win10 for the past several years, and it isn't bad after you figure out where MS hid all of the stuff that was easily accessed in Win7. Installed Classic Shell on my laptop back when I didn't know WIn10 well, looks, feels and smells like a Win7 laptop. Have all the PC's in my place (6-7) upgraded to Win10 except my daily driver, it's still on Win7... I went through all the Win10 computers and disabled all the tracking junk that MS enables by default, and yes it comes back with some of their major updates.

Still have a Win98 PC that works, and a couple of XP and Win7 boxes collecting dust. Even took a couple of boat anchor 10+ year old Dells and upgraded them to Win10, for the heck of it....

harringtondav

Commander
Now that MS has severed support for Windows 7. who here is still running the old 'Easy to access features' OS? I despised Win 8 and the 4 times I've trialed 10, I have had nothing but Headaches and Contempt for it. UI is almost as bad as 8, and difficult to get to a complete Control Panel.
Might have to build a Hackentosh, maybe not, Apples OS is as Privacy Intrusive as Win 10

I assume your confuser has/will run Win7. If so keep using it, or reinstall it if you have your factory disc. I could loan you mine thru PM. Of course this depends on the apps you use. IE probably won't like it, but I moved to Monzilla Fire Fox a long time ago, and it doesn't care. Gmail doesn't care. Newer software could be a problem.

Nice thing is you won't be constantly bombarded with no-choice MS forced updates.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have 4 Win 7 Licences, Retail versions, so I'm not too worried about reinstalling it or moving it from one computer to another, unfortunately the newer CPUs aren't too friendly to it.

Borborygmous

Recruit
I didn't realize windows 7 is first released 10 years ago. I have windows 10 installed but I modified it to make it more like windows 7.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just installed Win10 for my 82 year old mother in law and she is doing fine with it.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Win 10 is fine and no harder to transition to than it was to go from XP to 7.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Win 10 has many forms of monitoring/reporting software, continuously sending usage reports to Microsoft, so I find it very intrusive, too intrusive for my liking. Having these Rats running in the background also uses CPU cycles thus slowing the computer down. It is next to impossible to remove or disable these Rats, as they will be reactivated when Windows Updates itself, and Unlike Win 7, the user has not control over when and what Updates are installed. The Win 10 UI, is almost as ugly and non-user friendly as Win 8, the look of the Windows is very unpleasant to look at, and the Font used is pretty sad. I rate Win 10, on scale of 1 to 10, at -25

Jachin

Seaman Apprentice
I still run Windows 7 Home Premium on both computers, and will continue to do so until I can't squeeze any more life out of my hardware. I hate change! I would still be using XP if I could have. With a 3.10ghz Quad Core and 16g RAM I expect to keep my nose above water a long time.

sam am I

Commander
10 is most popular among college girls....it's pretty and fun!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/wind...e-world-2017-5

Agree as I do still favor 7, like an old shoe I reckon and yes, stuck in the past? I still have a windows ME running and this ole XP Laptop i'm still chugging along with what I'm typing this on now.....lol. Now on the other hand and also beings "of the past", our most smarty pants hardcore supercomputers folks are still today, all running the fastest machines in world on LINUX (C, C++), says a thing or two about Ubuntu and the like verses the latest Microsoft Bloat/Ransom-ware OS's....

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My PC just bit the dust. The CPU fan spins for about a Second then shuts down, Tried a different Power Supply, no change. Mother board is probably pooched. Guess its down to the Flea Markets to if there are any Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3s

sam am I

Commander
My PC just bit the dust. The CPU fan spins for about a Second then shuts down, Tried a different Power Supply, no change. Mother board is probably pooched. Guess its down to the Flea Markets to if there are any Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3s

So your "bit the dust" MB is a Z87X-UDH3? You certainly could be right BUT, this (your bios setup) should help you better know/diagnose the MB or a MB resource in a bit more of a deterministic approach before you write it totally off ......

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How does one access the bios when it doesn't power up?

My bios has been on classic since the first time it powered up