No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Orphaned by Microsoft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still run Windows 7 Home Premium on both computers, and will continue to do so until I can't squeeze any more life out of my hardware. I hate change! I would still be using XP if I could have. With a 3.10ghz Quad Core and 16g RAM I expect to keep my nose above water a long time.

Comment

10 is most popular among college girls....it's pretty and fun!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/wind...e-world-2017-5

Agree as I do still favor 7, like an old shoe I reckon and yes, stuck in the past? I still have a windows ME running and this ole XP Laptop i'm still chugging along with what I'm typing this on now.....lol. Now on the other hand and also beings "of the past", our most smarty pants hardcore supercomputers folks are still today, all running the fastest machines in world on LINUX (C, C++), says a thing or two about Ubuntu and the like verses the latest Microsoft Bloat/Ransom-ware OS's....
      Last edited by sam am I; January 24th, 2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

My PC just bit the dust. The CPU fan spins for about a Second then shuts down, Tried a different Power Supply, no change. Mother board is probably pooched. Guess its down to the Flea Markets to if there are any Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3s

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo View Post
          My PC just bit the dust. The CPU fan spins for about a Second then shuts down, Tried a different Power Supply, no change. Mother board is probably pooched. Guess its down to the Flea Markets to if there are any Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3s
          So your "bit the dust" MB is a Z87X-UDH3? You certainly could be right BUT, this (your bios setup) should help you better know/diagnose the MB or a MB resource in a bit more of a deterministic approach before you write it totally off ......

Last edited by sam am I; January 24th, 2020, 11:43 PM.

Comment

How does one access the bios when it doesn't power up?

My bios has been on classic since the first time it powered up

Comment

How does one access the bios when it doesn't power up?
              Yeah, that's a bit of a pickle eh...Start pulling devices (HDD/SSD's, any slotted VID/Sound cards, swap out uPC and RAM) one by one? If your down to just a MB and the power supply is still shutting off and you've tried another PS, RAM and uPC, guess MB is toast.

Probably then a dang $0.01 shorted out cap somewhere's on the MB causing the PS to fold back (protected shutdown) due to over current.
              Last edited by sam am I; January 25th, 2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

short the CMOS battery jumper or remove it to clear the bios. Try again. If that does not work, there are a ton of Chinese remanufactured/ kind of new motherboards you can get that will work with your processor/ ram. Some of them are pretty nifty and have M.2 NVME enabled with native slots. They cost about $60
                1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

I just built up off 3 of these MB's a few years back (already outdated) for work, they all are running M.2 SSD's and i7's, nice stable and fast machines for the price cept I had to ruin 2 of them with Win 10
                  Last edited by sam am I; January 25th, 2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Bye-bye Microsoft
                    The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

I tried Linux about 15 yrs ago, I didn't like it. I have had better luck with Hankentosh, but really hate most of it. I guess I will just install Win 7 on the Hack, and maybe buy the parts needed to build a newer Hack

Comment

I tried Linux about 15 yrs ago, I didn't like it. I have had better luck with Hankentosh, but really hate most of it. I guess I will just install Win 7 on the Hack, and maybe buy the parts needed to build a newer Hack
                        15 years was a long time ago. Take a look at some of the distros that are available.....Ubuntu is very Windows like. Linux mint is a good choice. There are distros that have the look of XP. I have not used MS in over 15 years except at work but when I was home it was linux which,by the way, was compatible with my work projects. Spreadsheets, slide presentations,word docs and photo editing were all done on open office or Libre suite and saved as a MS file. Heck, even macros on the spreadsheets would function on MS. It is free to download AND RUN on a thumbdrive, You do not need to change a thing on your computer to try it.
                        The older I get,the less I care what people think.....Central NC

Comment

I do a lot of Photo Editing, so I do make a lot of Use of Photoshop, which is offered on both Windows and Mac OS, Does Linux or Ubunta(first time I ever heard of it was yesterday, on a Youtube Video), any Extensive Photo Editing software?

Comment

Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu. It's "klunkier" than Photoshop, but seems to do a decent job.

Comment

Originally posted by southkogs View Post
                              Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu. It's "klunkier" than Photoshop, but seems to do a decent job.
                              Sounds like something from Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by southkogs View Post
                                Look into GIMP. I believe they have a version that will run on Linux, not sure of Ubuntu.
                                Linux is a distribution, ie Microsoft.
                                Ubuntu is the operating system ie Windows 10

We switched from Red Hat to Ubuntu 5 to 6 years ago

Comment

Working...
                                X