Dove tail trailers

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Any of you guys ever own a dove tail type utility trailer . I need a trailer for the Admirals golf cart and was thinking about that type so I could have a shorter ramp ... I will tow it mostly with my 31' class-C camper .. Any trouble with it bottoming out in the back with the way it slopes down ?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
We run a bunch of different trailers at work, from dovetails to tilts, car haulers and everything in between. To answer your question, yes it will bottom out more frequently than a straight utility lawn mower hauler. For a golf cart, if it is in the budget, a tilt bed is awesome as there are no ramps to deal with. Otherwise, I would get a utility trailer designed for lawn mowers with a single drop down ramp. Get a gorilla lift system for it and your back will thank you. If you can, enclosed is always preferable. You can pack much more in there without worrying about wind stealing your items. It also doubles as a storage unit for items when they are not in use and will free up cargo space in your camper.

dwco5051

Commander
I on occasion borrow a twenty foot tandem trailer to haul equipment and it is normally not a problem, if the axles clear an obstacle on level ground the rest of the trailer clears. Only turning on to a steep intersecting drive or some of our rural roads will the back end drag. I can usually gauge when that is going to happen when I see the groves in the pavement from those who had passed that way before. Most of the times no problem on our mountain roads even with the sharp turns and switchbacks. I don't think you would run into that situation on roads or places you regularly take a motor home with a shorter trailer.

dwco5051

Commander
We run a bunch of different trailers at work, from dovetails to tilts, car haulers and everything in between. To answer your question, yes it will bottom out more frequently than a straight utility lawn mower hauler. For a golf cart, if it is in the budget, a tilt bed is awesome as there are no ramps to deal with. Otherwise, I would get a utility trailer designed for lawn mowers with a single drop down ramp. Get a gorilla lift system for it and your back will thank you. If you can, enclosed is always preferable. You can pack much more in there without worrying about wind stealing your items. It also doubles as a storage unit for items when they are not in use and will free up cargo space in your camper.

Never thought of the tilt trailer option even though that is my regular skid steer hauler. Have to agree also with the tailgate lift assist thing. If I can find a couple of garage door springs somewhere for free I will be building one for my 12' utility trailer.