CL boat for sale - Scam?

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As this is from CL. I didn't reply to the ad (CL reply button only shows CL email, no other data). I have seen this before and I replied once to a ad similar to this before, and some (apparently) auto-reply email came back to me asking me to reply once again (so that they could get my actual email address in that way, in hidden html reply). I didn't further do that one. Now I see this again.

What I am asking is why would "scam" people go thru all that trouble retrieving email replies through those CL? I assume they aren't attempting to take money through some wire, but only collecting emails. Is this another form of scam (besides attempt to collect money, they collect email or other text)? I can understand them trying to collect money, but not collecting email or other text?

Attachments

• photo323504.jpg
    photo323504.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Because as a rule, there are a lot of people easily fooled and any data about/from you can be mined to get additional info and then do whatever scammers do w people's info.......

Real estate and auto ads are similar gold mines for a scammer.......

southkogs

Staff member
Data is it's own currency these days. It's tough to figure out all of the ways that people can buy, sell and use data - but your personal profile is a commodity of a kind. There are oodles of creative ways that people capture data, and ways they can scam you into getting further into your data. From there they can do all kinds of things like sell the data, the profile or try to steal your money or identity.

I have a couple of friends in IT security. Some days they make me scared to use the internet :)

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only to wishfully to buy that shiny boat and a Yamaha, heck, include a trailer, for $2,000!

Just checked (live) CL now, it's removed, not even 10 hours. That's why I print screen it, to know which ad to mention.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all those "click bait" post photos of you 10 years ago, name your dog, what is your favorite color, first dog, etc. things on face book are there to gather data. once they have all that info and your email, they can pretty much "brute-force" hack your identity, and your security questions.

ever notice how most of the click-bait things on face book are eerily similar to the security questions you set up with your bank.
name the closest nearest relative
name the high school you grew up with
name your 3rd grade teacher
name your first car
name your first pet
etc.

now with both Google Nest and Ring getting hacked, as well as experian, WAWA, chase, etc

and people wonder why I dont do "smart home apps" (or any apps at all)

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"click bait"

name the closest nearest relative
name the high school you grew up with
name your 3rd grade teacher
name your first car
name your first pet
etc.

I see. Didn't think of those bank question can be data gathered or relative easily to answer questions was related. Anyway, even with those bank question that I am with now, I didn't answer the questions directly, for that reason easily guessed/locatable. I STILL don't have FB account, or stuff like that. My friends are begging me to get FB... sorry no.