Car/suv battery choices

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Gonna replace my Jeep battery which calls for a H7 790 cca $149 ,there is a H8 with 900 cca which is $40 less and fits in the h7 tray.Does not make sense to me but maybe i am missing something.Does anyone know from experience why one WOULDNT get the bigger battery ??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
because you like spending money?

get the bigger battery and spend the $40 on the Mrs.

bigdee

Commander
No brainer ....bigger battery, less $$. I went in the other direction on my Jeep, went from H7 to H6 to save $50. Still more than adequate.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
In general go for higher cca than lower. Where it’s really important is if you live in a cold winter climate. Not so important if you live for example in warmer climates like Florida or Southern California. In any event if you can get higher cca for a lower price go for it.

bigdee

Commander
In general go for higher cca than lower. Where it’s really important is if you live in a cold winter climate. Not so important if you live for example in warmer climates like Florida or Southern California. In any event if you can get higher cca for a lower price go for it.

True, Frigid weather plays a toll on batteries. Not so much a problem here. I ran a $19 walmart garden tractor battery in a Chevy Malibu for over a year before getting the correct battery!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
No brainer ....bigger battery, less $$. I went in the other direction on my Jeep, went from H7 to H6 to save $50. Still more than adequate.

Yes but I figured it was so obvious that maybe I was missing something.BTW the $50 you saved on a H6 , you could have got the same h8 .Thats where I am at.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
True, Frigid weather plays a toll on batteries. Not so much a problem here.!

TO BE CLEAR,the cold weather really does not affect a good battery at all.The issue is how the cold thickens the engine oil and makes the internals of the engine move much slower with resistance and thus the engine cranks much slower and thus you think the battery is failing.Thats exactly what it sounds like.I found this out when my Jeep was struggling to remote start in the cold weather.I assumed it was time to replace the battery.Brought it in for replacement and the new battery was not in stock so I got an oil change while I was there.There was a special on a synthetic oil change so I went with synthetic.The following week was even colder and no issues starting at all.The cold weather starting had ZERO to do with the battery ,it was totally the thickening of the conventional oil.Synthetic oil has the same thickness/viscosity regardless of how cold and extreme the temps are so the engine moves freely upon cold frigid start.Charlie