building a three car garage- are these prices fair?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
client looking to build a three car garage with a second floor. Near NY city, Connecticut. The prices seem high- $300k for just the shell, foundation, lumber, roof, windows, brick outside, no sheetrock, or interior utilities. As an example, just the price for lumber= $50k, the foundation= $50k. How do I know if these are fair prices? The contract is very high level. thank you.

dwco5051

Commander
In my neck of the woods the average 3 car garage is about $40.000. Brick and complete foundation would probably add another $30,000. I remember when I was stationed in Groten, CT years ago home prices seemed to be about 3 times what they were in central Pennsylvania. Talk to an architect in that part of the state and he should be able to tell you if that is in the ball park.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'll do it for $295k.. my dad just built a huge/deep 3 car garage with a second floor for about $60k. We have two boats a jetski and one of his cars (winter beater / nicer summer car depending on time of year) in it with space to spare...my Sea Ray 200 and the jet ski fit lengthwise in the same bay easily, so its big.

Now he is is in BFE, so would expect it to be less there than where u live but that's a bad price, especially if quote is high level.

bigdee

Commander
My relative is building a detached garage right now. 1250 sq ft with second story with 9/12 roof with large dormer for 60K. He lives in an upscale neighborhood and had to built it to match his home's architecture. I am glad I moved to NC from New England 60 years ago!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
keep in mind my $400k house here in Florida would go for $1.7M in Greenwich CT or $275k in Wisconsin

a 3-car garage here thru a contractor here is about double what it would cost me in the land of cheese. my last quote was over $150k (will build it myself after having the slab poured)

Just stating near NYC is a bit nebulous. It would help if you dialed it in a bit.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
How many square feet will it be? Most contractor's estimate any building by the square foot.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
This is in Greenwich CT in the backcountry- 6+ acres. no heat for $300k, but the ductwork there in the walls for when heating needs to be installed. not a slab foundation, actual poured/block foundation. 1,200 square feet downstairs, 800 square feet upstairs, one bedroom apartment, but 300 doesn't include finishing the apartment; 300 is just for the shell; outside, no sheetrock or insulation, etc. I am used to seeing Greenwich prices, but this seems high...

bigdee

Commander
This is in Greenwich CT in the backcountry- 6+ acres. no heat for $300k, but the ductwork there in the walls for when heating needs to be installed. not a slab foundation, actual poured/block foundation. 1,200 square feet downstairs, 800 square feet upstairs, one bedroom apartment, but 300 doesn't include finishing the apartment; 300 is just for the shell; outside, no sheetrock or insulation, etc. I am used to seeing Greenwich prices, but this seems high...

It is. In my neck of the woods the going price is 30 to 50k per square foot for garages/shops. Ask for other quotes and examine it closely to see what the money is being used for. What is the property tax evaluation in your area for a similar structure?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
From Zillow;

The median list price per square foot in Greenwich is $578, which is higher than the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk Metro average of $267.

2000 sq. ft. @ $578 is $1,156,000 for a finished home. Your 300 grand for a unfinished bricked shell is $150/sq. ft. and is most likely reasonable for the area. The big money is in the finishing touches, like electric, heating, drywall, flooring and indoor plumbing. Also labor, too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would say the price is on-par with other real estate in the Greenwich area. Higher than nearly everywhere else, however on par with Greenwich

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I live in California where prices for everything are sky high, but $300,000 for a partially completed (no sheet rock, insulation etc.) 2 story garage seems darn high to me. The person needs to get at least 3 bids from different contractors and see how close they are. I’m thinking just the building permits in that part of the country may be a small fortune.
He may be better off contracting it himself and subcontract all the work. Hire separately a concrete guy, a framer, sheet rocker, electrician etc. Or have the concrete poured, have it framed and do as much of the rest as he is able. Sheet rocking is pretty simple. Plumbing and electrical on new construction is also pretty easy. If he’s not real handy then subcontracting everything himself may be the way to go.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is this a 2000 ftsq house being impersonated by a 3 car garage? With HVAC, and all that goes along with it our basic no frills dwellings around here are going for $225.00 per square foot for a basic house, no brick, granite, gold toilets hardwood floors etc. A tract home. So 2000 ftsq would be $450,000.00 CDN where we are. Prices here are much lower than in the Greater Toronto, Hamilton Niagara region. Toronto builds can be $700.00 per ftsq.

Had a business trip in Southern England 15 years ago and went into a big box building supply place just to see prices. 4 2X4X8's shrinkwraped were 75 bucks USD. Wowza. Looks like material prices in Connecticut are pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator:

dwco5051

Commander
He may be better off contracting it himself and subcontract all the work. Hire separately a concrete guy, a framer, sheet rocker, electrician etc. Or have the concrete poured, have it framed and do as much of the rest as he is able. Sheet rocking is pretty simple. Plumbing and electrical on new construction is also pretty easy. If he’s not real handy then subcontracting everything himself may be the way to go.

I would not recommend on a job of this size to be your own contractor if you “are not handy.”

Having been both a clerk of the works and a construction manager at one time or another there are a lot of things that require construction knowledge. Now you are responsible for obtaining all permits, arranging inspection visits, confirming insurance requirements for all subcontractors, Indemnity releases, contract terms, etc.

Next scheduling your subs at the proper times. You don’t want to hang drywall and then remember the insulation wasn’t installed yet. If you have rewarded bids to only to the lowest bidders you may find you have sub-contractors who don’t like each other trying to get along. Conflicts always arise on any job between subs anyway and you have to solve them. When they all want a certain space to install something you have to know the sprinkler people get first dibs, followed by the tin knockers, then plumbers and last electricians. It almost requires a person to be on the job at all times. When a change order is needed often you will be able to handle it right away. It doesn’t make your subs happy to have to call on the phone and try to explain the problem and have people idle or maybe have to go to another job until you get off work and take a look and then decide what route to take. Unless you are able to go to the site whenever needed it is a waste of time for the sub-contractors.

A general contractor is able if experienced to do all this and that is what you pay him for.