Durable Tarp?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Hey, guys. I'm thinking some of you have some experience with tarps for covering your boat. My boat is well covered, but I have a piece of equipment that is exposed to E. San Diego County sun, rain and wind that I'm looking to protect. I've been using the HF silver tarps, but they crap out in less than a year - combo of UV deterioration and occasional high wind conditions. The $35 or so price is not that bad, but it is a PIA to have to re-fit a new tarp in less than a year.

Any recommendations for good durable tarps - repel water and withstand sun, wind and rough handling (have to drag it over the equipment)? I use 15' x 20' size range. Cut a 2' x 20' strip off to cover my pool solar blanket and the remainder for my trencher.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Havent found a canvas tarp that will survive Florida Sunshine. ( I use a Tarp over the bamboo on my Tiki Bar as a "roof" - replace it every year)

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you looked into a trucker's tarp? They sure see some heavy duty wind and are quite thick and durable.

Another option might be a hay tarp. Some of them sure look heavy duty and robust.

There are also building covers that are used by highway departments over sand piles etc.

robert graham

Admiral
Northern Tool sells yellow, woven, cotton tarps with heavy waterproofing on them.....not cheap, but good for many years...

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Here is what I use in 18x24.

Retired the last one to leaf duty after 4 years

Tarp clips and heavy duty bungees are your friends

https://www.tarpsupply.com/silver-brown-tarp-18x24.html

I found something similar (may actually be the same tarp) on Amazon. Went that route because of free shipping. Ended up cheaper than the HF silver ones I had been buying and, since they specify UV resistance, hopefully longer lasting.

Looking back, I was assuming the HF silver tarps were UV protected. Looking closer at the product description, they attribute the silver surface as being "protected against sun" because of its reflective properties. Not the same as UV protected IMO. Plus the one I ordered appears to be heavier weave and more durable construction.

Appreciate the input..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looking back, I was assuming the HF silver tarps were UV protected. Looking closer at the product description, they attribute the silver surface as being "protected against sun" because of its reflective properties. Not the same as UV protected IMO. Plus the one I ordered appears to be heavier weave and more durable construction.
The biggest issue I have is keeping the wind out from under the tarp. Bungee cords are my friend....

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Get the yellow woven heavy duty cotton tarp for many years of service....the polypropylene just can't hold up to the UV.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I bought tarps from this guy
https://billboardtarps.com/product-c...w-vinyl-55-oz/

They are vinyl, used for billboards, and pond liners, and ice rinks.
multi layered, waterproof, mildew proof, tear defiant, and UV resistant.

I can't remember if I bought the 20 oz or the 55 oz, but this stuff is tough.
Supposed to last 20 years.

You can buy just cut stock, or with grommets, or you can buy used billboard tarps for less money.
I use one as a ground cloth under my tent, another in the cooking tent, and a third to cover firewood at home.

I would love to get a boat cover made out of this stuff.

Last edited:

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll agree with roscoe - but you might be able to find a local sign company that sells used billboard vinyl for a LOT less $$. A few years ago I was able to score a giant one (as I recall 18 x 40) for 60 bucks. Yes it has advertising on one side but I covered both of my shelter frames end-to-end with the logo on the inside. It’s still in fine shape after 3 or 4 years.

harringtondav

Commander
I've been using the silver/black tarps from Blain's Farm and Fleet....Midwestern thing. 16X24 for >$40. I get 4-5 years out of them, but I just use them in the winter. Black side up to help melt off the snow. Also lots of bungees.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As with Rosco, I have used "used Billboard tarps" they are cheep and well made. If you think about it, they are designed to be out in the elements 24/7. The outfit I got mine from had blank on 1 side option...