Durable Tarp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durable Tarp?

Hey, guys. I'm thinking some of you have some experience with tarps for covering your boat. My boat is well covered, but I have a piece of equipment that is exposed to E. San Diego County sun, rain and wind that I'm looking to protect. I've been using the HF silver tarps, but they crap out in less than a year - combo of UV deterioration and occasional high wind conditions. The $35 or so price is not that bad, but it is a PIA to have to re-fit a new tarp in less than a year.

Any recommendations for good durable tarps - repel water and withstand sun, wind and rough handling (have to drag it over the equipment)? I use 15' x 20' size range. Cut a 2' x 20' strip off to cover my pool solar blanket and the remainder for my trencher.

Havent found a canvas tarp that will survive Florida Sunshine. ( I use a Tarp over the bamboo on my Tiki Bar as a "roof" - replace it every year)
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Here is what I use in 18x24.

Retired the last one to leaf duty after 4 years

Tarp clips and heavy duty bungees are your friends

https://www.tarpsupply.com/silver-brown-tarp-18x24.html

Comment

I'd be happy with 2 years. 4 years would be awesome.

Comment

Have you looked into a trucker's tarp? They sure see some heavy duty wind and are quite thick and durable.

Another option might be a hay tarp. Some of them sure look heavy duty and robust.

There are also building covers that are used by highway departments over sand piles etc.
          Perfection is a direction, not a goal.

Comment

Northern Tool sells yellow, woven, cotton tarps with heavy waterproofing on them.....not cheap, but good for many years...

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
              Here is what I use in 18x24.

Retired the last one to leaf duty after 4 years

Tarp clips and heavy duty bungees are your friends

https://www.tarpsupply.com/silver-brown-tarp-18x24.html
              I found something similar (may actually be the same tarp) on Amazon. Went that route because of free shipping. Ended up cheaper than the HF silver ones I had been buying and, since they specify UV resistance, hopefully longer lasting.

Looking back, I was assuming the HF silver tarps were UV protected. Looking closer at the product description, they attribute the silver surface as being "protected against sun" because of its reflective properties. Not the same as UV protected IMO. Plus the one I ordered appears to be heavier weave and more durable construction.

Appreciate the input..

Comment

Originally posted by minuteman62-64 View Post
                Looking back, I was assuming the HF silver tarps were UV protected. Looking closer at the product description, they attribute the silver surface as being "protected against sun" because of its reflective properties. Not the same as UV protected IMO. Plus the one I ordered appears to be heavier weave and more durable construction.
                The biggest issue I have is keeping the wind out from under the tarp. Bungee cords are my friend....
                Last edited by dingbat; December 6th, 2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Any polypropylene tarp will deteriorate in UV light.....even if it's advertised to not do it...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    Any polypropylene tarp will deteriorate in UV light.....even if it's advertised to not do it...
                    Hopefully a bit slower than the HF ones deteriorate.

Comment

Working...
                    X