Transfer case motor

alldodge

Staff member
2008 Ram 2500 and the service 4WD light comes on every now and then for the past week or so. Been busy so didn't get to it until today. Thinking it may be a bad connection, removed the connector and all good. Read up on the issue and most lead back to the transfer case motor.

So I'm putting the truck up and it acts like its in 4WD Low and sure enough it is and won't come out. Put it in its space and shut it on/off a couple times trying to clear, but that just made it worst. Now its in between Low and High and if I try to put iin park the gears grind. It also will not go FWD or REV, so shut it off and going to order a new transfer motor.

Good times, sure wish I had the old shift lever now. Cant complain a lot because its at 155K without many issues

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I always believed in exercising stuff. As like the parking brake, use it at least twice a week, even if you don't need it. Keeps the cables and such working. I'll go to 4 low a couple times a month just to keep things freed up also. If ya don't use it, ya lose it.

alldodge

Staff member
You may be right, but have been using it the last few months going to/from positioning for ground hog hunting. I'm only going to 4W high, not Low. To go to Low have to place in neutral then shift, high is shift on the fly. What I'm finding is there has been a lot of them being replaced. Could be they just wear out.

I'm getting a new (not reman) Dorman instead of Mopar. The Dorman (probably makes for Mopar) is about 1/3 the price

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah things do wear out. But fixing when broken goes a long way to having a reliable vehicle. Seen so many that let the little things go till its not worth fixing.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just had to do that repair in my Silverado, New Transfer Case Motor and New Front Axle Actuator, was actually a pretty quick fix and not as expensive as I thought it was going to be the Motor was right around a $100 and the Actuator was about $30. Mine went south on Super Bowl Sunday lat winter and I just now got it fixed so the 4WD worked be fore the snow really starts flying.

alldodge

Staff member
Put the order in and getting one for 209 being shipped. I don't have an actuator on the front axle, it's full time axle and only disconnect is the transfer case.

The truck got stuck where it would not move at all, and would start to grind if I went for Park. This morning I found out what happened by seeing a small red light. There is a very small button which can only be pressed using a pen or pencil of such size. I noticed light and grabbed a pencil and pressed the button, light went out and truck could be moved.

Backed out of the garage and moved it besides the shop. This way if the truck won't move after getting the part I have room to work outside if need be

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I do miss the days of the mechanical shifter's on the 4x4 trucks, they were just about bullet proof. I am really not into all of this electronic junk that goes bad a lot more often.

alldodge

Staff member
I like the mechanical shifter my self, but the good side is the electic removes the lever from the floor board

Got the part today and removed the old one yesterday, took me 15 minutes to install, counting getting atchet and 10mm socket. Least being a 2500 I didn't have to remove the front drive shaft like would be needed for the 1500

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I do miss the days of the mechanical shifter's on the 4x4 trucks, they were just about bullet proof. I am really not into all of this electronic junk that goes bad a lot more often.

As an avid surf fisherman, I’ll take electronic shift over mechanical everyday and twice on Sunday.

Stranded once in 30+ years. 1978 Jeep Grand wagoneer. Locker(s) full of sand at 10:30 at night. $500 and agazillion mosquito bites later back on hard surface.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As an avid surf fisherman, I’ll take electronic shift over mechanical everyday and twice on Sunday.

Stranded once in 30+ years. 1978 Jeep Grand wagoneer. Locker(s) full of sand at 10:30 at night. $500 and agazillion mosquito bites later back on hard surface.

Not a lot of surf fishing going on in my parts...

:)