Recommendations ? Need to go up to WIN 10

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I have Win 7 now and need to move up. Any recommendations on where to get the software ? I am seeing prices all over the map and there is a ton of counterfeit crap out there too

I am running an HP with an intel I 5 that is getting older.

Thanks!

sam am I

Commander
The upgrade is still free....Shhhhhh

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Depending on the ver of your 7, you'll get one of two free ver's of 10 (Home or Pro), we run 7 ultimate so we got the 10 pro. We run intel I5, I7's

I absolutely hate the Win10 interface ( I swear girls designed it and made it to be pretty and fun) but, had to upgrade a few of our PC's due to new required software requiring 10, i.e., not supporting 7 any longer (grrrrrrr)........My work around? A shell.....

http://www.classicshell.net/

Been on PITA 10 here at work all summer with two machines, the shell works perfect and restores the logical interface that 7 has and dumps the pretty 10 face but, 10 is the op sys still.....

Now, welcome to Bill taking over you machine/s.......Yes, you'll soon find how 10 forces itself on you in many ways, it takes away your control of updates and inserts its way into almost all aspects of your programs, you'll need to spend part of the day shutting off new things it wants to take over with or wants to not use that you've used previously. If you can avoid 10, I would stick with 7 as long as possible, I have 4 or 5 other machines here still on 7 and keeping them that way. Of course I have machines at home, I still use and are still running on 95, 98, Millennium and XP

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
No expert and I love win 7, but did go to 10 since my laptop died. Thought about reformatting the new laptop and installing win pro 7 but staying with 10. The newer SW requires requires more memory and more processor speed, so not sure if the I5 processor will be enough, and if its enough it would be slow

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bitched and complained when we migrated at the computers over to Windows 10 Pro and Office 2019

Fast forward two years and I actually like it. Opened a lot of connectivity options not available on Windows 7

Synced my laptop to my phone and the phone to my car via Car play.

Can work from anywhere at anytime. If I have a cell connection I have access to my computer. Closed a deal on the way back from Detroit last week. Will be monitoring activity from the beach (Surf fishing tournament) the week after next.

Running a Latitude with an i8 and 32G of ram

Bob_VT

Staff member
Well.... I tried :( I finally got a message stating my computer could not be upgraded to Win 10 ........... deep breath sigh

southkogs

Staff member
Hey Bob: depending on what you do on the computer, some folks can just as easily convert over to working on a tablet or iPad. My brother in law works almost completely from his iPad, and it's been a good conversion for him. It helps solve the operating system struggles on some levels.

briangcc

Commander
Technically speaking you can keep running Windows 7. It just won't be patched/upgraded starting this January. Depending on what you use it for this *might* be OK.

IF you are using it on the web, then its probably time to upgrade the computer.

sam am I

Commander
Well.... I tried :( I finally got a message stating my computer could not be upgraded to Win 10 ........... deep breath sigh

You followed and used what I left above and it said it couldn't be upgraded? What gen of core i5 you using?

Depending, your hardware may be too old.......As a work around and depending solely if it hung just cause of processor architecture, your mother board may support a newer gen core i3/5/7. Drop in a little newer used one for $20/$30 and it'll upgrade

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member
Well I researched the computer specs and the processor. As per the microsoft requirements my processor should be fine I am running Intel Core i5 2390T / 2.7 GHz processor | CM8062301002115 with 8 GB DDR3-1333 memory

The system is a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1010

Yes most of the things I do is on the net

Bob_VT

Staff member
Okay I see the problem....... my motherboard has a LGA 1155 socket and it appears that I might be able to hit up ebay cheaply and get a I7 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge i7-3770S I am wondering if I can pull this off?

sam am I

Commander
I'm thinking it should be fine, yes. Might consider two things in the process of the upgrade...

1) Make full disk image backup of your Win 7 before hand, you can always go right back to where you started in the event the whole works goes south. I use Acronis FWIW.

If you don't already have it, upgrade to a SSD,

2) Use the image above in suggestion 1 and make a clone of your Win 7 to the new SSD, THEN upgrade your WIn 7 to Win 10 that'll be running on this SSD, Acronis again.

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
My .02, even if you go through the trouble of upgrading the processor, you are beyond the design life of that PC. We talk about design life on this forum often and a lot of us do maintenance to keep our watercraft going well beyond that, however, computers are different. You can't do an oil change or carb cleanup on a computer. It has moving pieces in it that fail, and software that becomes outdated.

I am a huge fan of surface tablets. Full windows version on it, flash memory so it minimizes moving parts, and easily docked in a station at home if you need a bigger monitor. Also doubles as a dual monitor setup.

Depending on what you do on your computer, you can even get chromebooks with flash memory for less than what you would pay to upgrade your processor.

sam am I

Commander
you are beyond the design life of that PC.

Agreed.............BUT, I'm still running 3 or 4 PC's with their respective MB's, RAM, uPC's and power supplies from years ago in fact HOWEVER, moved OS's and slave storage onto SSD's as I suggested. Other then a fan/s, no moving parts....only cap's to dry out. I think his HW would be fine for many years. Connectivity and/or gaming c/would certainly be an issue however depending on needs

I guess primarily because (and as you said, "depending on what you use a PC for") I'm still running programs (or have content) that can't be found or bought anymore are, personally, still very useful.

And funny thing, these old machines are just as fast if not faster with their relative content than my current machines, go figure.

Now........I need to jump in my car, make a hands-free call for dinner, check traffic, pay bills, water my lawn, check my security cams, run my house lights and garage door and heater all from my S10 in my pocket that wirelessly auto connects to my Kenwood via Android Auto, then later, fly a autonomous drone mission for fishing recon ;)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190819_151058.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	10807071

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Staff member
Here are the plans.....Well I have the processor incoming - I use multiple computers in the home...... This one that I am upgrading will be a photo storage computer and my computer for my Ham Radio hobby parked upstairs.......The great wife I have is wanting to replace the desktop with a newer one with SSD and newer technology and the Win XP (LOL not a typo) Pentium will probably find a home in my shop or offer it to the grand kids.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Upgraded myself to a new one HP I-7 8th Gen 24 MB with 1 TB hd oh and win 10

82rude

Rear Admiral
Be humbled by the massive power of my elderly dell latitude 5420:lol: i5 2520m cpu at 2.5 gigs.4 gb of ram on a x64 operating system.I bought her refurbished with windows 7.I put in a new hybrid 1tb hard drive went to Microsoft and under their accessibility program got win 10 for free not long ago well after it was suppose to of been over.She seems to run just peachy.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Win 10 has dozens of Ratfink apps running on it. most can be turned off but it requires use of 2 rd Party software, Unfortunately when WIn 10 does its mandatory updates, over which you have no control, it will turn a lot of the surveillance apps back on, so more time wasted turning off. While the UI is better than the God Awful mess of WIn 8, it still is much less user friendly than Win 7 for getting to where fine tuning can be done. The folders and Fonts are much uglier too.
I have tried it 3 times and have always returned to Win 7. Too bad as it does a better job of managing memory better than 7, I guess it has to, since it is running the Rat Fink apps to send useage stats and Data to MS.
Getting a Hackentosh to run is less stressful than getting Win 10 to behave and appear well.
For those who think they can wipe Win 10 off of a New Computer or Laptop and replace it with Win 7, You might get it to Install, but it will not let you do any upgrades, including Drivers for the New Motherboard Chipsets, and HD controllers.
I will continue with Win 7 for a long time, even when MS quits supporting it. There are lots of Computers still running Vista and even XP.