Tire pressure gauge

MRS

Commander
Ok I have two tire pressure gauges and they both show different psi readings one is low of true pressure the other is a little high. Who makes a good gauge that reads true.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you have two gauge that read differently, how do you know one reads high the other low without a good, calibrated gauge for comparison?

My go to gauge is a Victor Pro. Fairly inexpensive and “accurate enough for government work”...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Ok I have two tire pressure gauges and they both show different psi readings one is low of true pressure the other is a little high. Who makes a good gauge that reads true.

Interesting question... I've always been surprised at how variable tire gauges can be. Outside of using lab equipment, how DO you know if the gauge is fairly accurate?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you using a dial type pressure gauge or the ball-point pen spring pop-up gauge?

a dial gauge will always be more accurate than the pop-up style.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting question... I've always been surprised at how variable tire gauges can be. Outside of using lab equipment, how DO you know if the gauge is fairly accurate?
The easiest is to buy a "real" gauge with an actual specification. Not one of those plastic "sticks" you buy at Walmart.

Inexpensive commercial gauges typically run plus or minus 5%. Spend a bit more and and go plus or minus 2-3% More than adequate for Harry Homeowner work

MRS

Commander
I knew this would come back to me for how do you know I did have the tire shop I go to check same results. Also at work had them check there's has to be calibrated but I do not want to spend 300 bucks for a pressure gauge:eek: The gauges I have one is 7 psi low and the high is 5 psi high. I do have the dial with pressure release values on them Thanks for replies the more I think about it seems kind of anal. But I need tires to last for motor home, boat trailer, Quads, and bikes Truck tires I put 30,000 miles a year just going to work. I think I will just pick a made in American gauge and be good with it. I just like to buy things that work the right way they are sold has.:joyous:

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am required to have my meters and gauges "calibrated" to international standards (ISO 17025) annually. It costs the Co. I work for $80 to have a $30 gauge certified and it must be done every year. One can't rely on a more expensive gauge to be more accurate or stay true longer just based on price. I would use the same gauge on all the tires of a given vehicle and error on the higher pressure side. (Use the gauge that reads lower and bring the pressure up to stated pressure.) A slightly over-inflated tire will last longer than an under-inflated one.

Nick

MRS

Commander
Nick, Thanks that is what I will do just drives me crazy when I get different readings.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am required to have my meters and gauges "calibrated" to international standards (ISO 17025) annually. It costs the Co. I work for $80 to have a $30 gauge certified and it must be done every year.

Nick
Funny his should come up. Spent a good part of last week in meeting with a customer about 17025 calibration requirements.

ISO 17025 doesn't require annual certification. In fact, 17025 specifically states the duration between calibrations should not be on calibration reports. The customer/ end user should determine calibration requirements based on experience.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It is up to the lab to some extent to choose the calibration period. The period should be based on the equipment manufacturer's recommendation but can be done more or less often. One risk taken is that the gauge/meter calibrated needs to be recorded for the work being tested and if the next calibration of the instrument shows it to be out of spec, the previous work done with that instrument needs to be recalled and retested. There is also a limit on the acceptable calibration period and the expiration of the calibration period needs to be on the sticker placed on the instrument. Extend the period and take your chance. lol.

Nick

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is also a limit on the acceptable calibration period and the expiration of the calibration period needs to be on the sticker placed on the instrument. Extend the period and take your chance. lol.
This was actually the topic of our discussions.
ISO/IEC 17025, Paragraph 5.10.4.4 - A calibration certificate (or calibration label) shall not contain any recommendations on the calibration interval except where this has been agreed by the customer. This requirement may be superseded by legal regulations.

Re-calibration intervals are to be determined statically or by experience, thus the demand that the calibration houses do not assign and or imply calibration intervals.

In my case, a customer brought up the question of how often should they have the samples re-certificated. My answer was "never" unless physically damaged.

Their QA department didn't like that. I told them every 30 days. They didn't like that. Asked them what did they want to hear? They couldn't answer that either.

In reality, we've never adjusted a sample value (in the past 20+ years) unless the sample was visually damaged or destroyed.

They decided on once a year when I left. They are now up to once every 5 years the last I heard.