Late model Manufactured Homes

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Looking to buy, 12 year old 28 x 58' steel framed, on full poured basement.
It is rated for temp zone 3, northern WI, snow load rated, etc.

Any experience that you may have that would be of value to me in considering this home?

Seller is my cousin, she has suffered a stroke and is moving into assisted living.

Priced about 35% less than comparable stick built houses in the neighborhood.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Been living in a double wide Manufactured home since '98 in the exact same type of climate here in Montana and other than I have had to remodel a few this over the years, I have no problem with it at all. Easy to keep warm, cedar sided, three bedroom two bath with a jacuzzi tub I put in a few years ago. Holds the snow fine and we have had several feet on the roof a few times over the years. The major thing I did to it, is to put weather and thermal rated vinyl window in it, and the power company helped with the cost.

Would not hesitate to do it again. It is sitting on a foundation and bolted down for wind rating and I merged it with the property as far as the tax office, so in reality it is considered a stick built home for all purposes. It currently has a wood stove and as a backup a electric furnace that works fine, 1500+ square feet, we are considering installing a heat pump next season so we have AC as well, but like I said, been here over 20 years now and don't plan on going anywhere.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the feedback.

She upgraded a few things when she ordered it, vinyl thermopane low e glass windows, nicer counter tops, rain gutters,
light fixtures, storm doors, coach lights by all 3 entry doors, central air, etc.
Carpet is original and looks new, I HATE carpet.

She should have paid for the upgraded faucets though, I'll have to replace those.
And when the furnace goes, I'll replace it with one in the basement. That will free up more space in the laundry/mud room.

Well, here's hoping all the ducks fall in line; or the planets align, or whatever.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I hate my manufactured Cape cod style BOCA code. 20 year old Redmond brand. All the little stuff is cheap and breaks. Repairing plumbing is a nightmare. The electric grounds seem to be an issue, cant keep a GFI circuit working for more than a year. All the bulbs in the lights outside by the doors only last a few weeks, even hard service shop bulbs. I cant determine if it's due to the electric or the wall shaking everytime the door gets shut.

on another note, if you have a downdraft furnace on main level and want to go to an updraft in the basement, it may be more involved than you think. I am not an expert but have owned many rentals and replaced many furnaces over the years.