Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extended run fuel tank for Honda Generators?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended run fuel tank for Honda Generators?

I'm trying to put together the parts to run my 4- Honda 2200 generators off a 6.5 gallon portable Moeller plastic tank.
    I'm down to the final parts. The caps I bought off Ebay to fit these Honda generators are aluminum. Can I use a brass elbow with the aluminum cap. Will two different metals react with each other. Or should I hunt down a plastic elbow?
    Thx
    Albany, New York
    2007 Lund 1425 Classic SS
    2007 40 hp Merc 4 stroke EFI ELPT

How will you get gas to the carb on a gravity fed fuel system?
    BOAT SPECS | FORUM HELP | STARCRAFT FORUM | SHOP iBoats
    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Ya I thought of that issue too but they sell these setups on Ebay from various sellers. I asked that question of one of the sellers and he said the Hondas have their internal own pump and no need for a priming bulb in the line. I ordered a primer bulb anyway for the system Im making up myself and will return it if I don't need it. I'm doing doing another setup (a single one) for my son who has a Rigid 6,800 watt generator so worst case if his generator does not have an internal pump is you place the external gas tank above the generators gas tank. This guy wants $165 for a system with the tank and then $57 for shipping an empty plastic tank. He gets $165 each and I need two systems plus a 3rd single one for my son. He lost my business with his $57 ripoff shipping charge.
      Albany, New York

Comment

I think this answered my question as this other seller is showing a brass fiiting that is screwed into an aluminum cap:
        Albany, New York

Comment

There are no internal pumps their gravity fed .A quick check of Hondas parts diagrams will attest to that.

Comment

As long as your tank sits higher than the fuel inlet you will be fine, they are gravity fed, no fuel pump.

As far as brass and aluminum, you are good to go, they are normally not reactive to each other in normal use.

Comment

Originally posted by 82rude View Post
              There are no internal pumps their gravity fed .A quick check of Hondas parts diagrams will attest to that.
              Ya thats why I also ordered a few primer bulbs as that was what the ebay seller said re the honda has an internal pump which I took with a grain of salt. Other sellers show their set up with the external tank sitting above the generator.
              Albany, New York

Comment

On the 2000i, the fuel cap also contains the vent. It can be opened or closed. If closed, the generator will eventually starve of fuel. Not sure if the 2200's are the same.

With the replacement cap and elbow, even if you are running the 6 gal tank on the ground, since there will be no vent, the suction from the onboard tank level going down will pull fuel into the generator from the outboard tank.

I bought a modified plastic cap with brass elbow for my 2000i and it works great. Generator will run for literally days on the 6 gallons plus the 1 gallon in the onboard tank. Use it for camping all the time. I do place my outboard tank on a milk crate next to the generator to gravity feed, but I have also used it without the crate with the tank on the ground and it works fine that way as well.

1988 Rinker Captiva 206 OMC 5.0 | 2005 Parker 2520SL Yam 4S 225
                1997 Wellcraft Excel 23WA Ocean Pro 200 (Sold) | 1988 Bayliner Capri 1950 OMC 3.0 (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                X